How to get the interpolated states of blends between shape variations to generate correctly

• @Nils
    ...Just google gif maker, then....
    thanks for the Info

• @Nils Nice! Blending across multiple artboards?

• @b77 You can just scale any scene down to make the various interpolated states fit the artboard and then increase your resolution correspondingly on export.

Why were you thinking of multiple artboards?

• @Nils If the artboard count is the same with the blend count and you place the start object on the first artboard and the end object on the last one, each interpolation would be on the intermediary artboards.

Then after editing the interpolated objects (I guess with your a bit complex animation it involved expanding the blend object and editing the resulting shapes), you can use File > Export Artboards to get all the images for the Animated GIF with one click.

See the attached (very basic) example.

0_1649538422789_Animate.vstyler

• @b77 said in How to get the interpolated states of blends between shape variations to generate correctly:

I guess with your a bit complex animation it involved expanding the blend object and editing the resulting shapes

Surprisingly not. The above is all done without touching any interpolation results. Vs's blend tool is truly great.

If the artboard count is the same with the blend count and you place the start object on the first artboard and the end object on the last one, each interpolation would be on the intermediary artboards.

That sounds like a great way to emulate a crude timeline! Would also save the hassle of having to align stacked intermediate blends.

• @b77 Here's the problem, though? This doesn't seem to work well with non-linear intensities. Any idea how to work around that? For example, if I have a group with two circles and I want to blend vertical translation inside the group non-linearly, then the intensity will reflect in the group's position aswell if I use the groups for the blend.

Also, there doesn't seem to be a way to only blend one axis of translation..
    I guess I'll have to expand and then realign..

• @Nils Do you refer to a way to simulate "closer" interpolations near the start and end objects (ease-in and ease-out)?

If so, it can be done (click the graph button in the Blend panel), but then this multiple artboards trick indeed doesn't work. It's good for repetitive, uniform-speed and -distance GIFs.

Although… you could simulate this "ease-in" and "ease-out" by opening the Animated GIF in an image editor and decreasing the ms values manually for the first and last frames.

If it's something else, you could post a test file.

• Bending the blend paths and slightly bending the blend transfer curves can give interesting results:

alt text

0_1649584277616_Animate_2.vstyler

Btw, I'm generating the AnimatedGIF with GiMP (File > Open as Layers, Image > Transform > Rotate 90°, then File > Export as > GIF with 'As Animation' enabled). No need to upload images online.

• @b77 thats funny 🙂 and cool

• Unfortunalty only for Windows
    Can recommend "ScreenToGif" Utility for
    converting single frames into a Gif-Animation.
    Also very useful for Screen recording.

Video ScreentoGif