Isometric Drawing Tutorial

• Hi everyone,

I'm back wit this isometric drawing thing, but this time I tried to make a clear tutorial and to follow the graphic guidelines for VS tutorial as well.

As you know, I'm not a native English speaker, so there are probably a lot of things that need to be fixed about the explanations. The second thing is that any input on this subject is welcome.
    I don't know how to do it formally, but I consider this tutorial as a creative commons work. Tomorrow, I will put all the source files available for people who are willing to join to help to clear/clean/enrich the content of the tutorial.
    The PDF is here.

• @Devil-Dinosaur

wow, i am speechless, amazing Tutorial 👍

• @Subpath Thank you for your comment and for your help for the tricks 😉

• @Devil-Dinosaur fantastic tutorial, rich with examples and illustrations! I have not gone through it, but when I get my work done, I will be all over it.

Thank you for taking the time to create this; great job!

• @Victor-Vector Thank you 🙂

I uploaded the source files here.
    The master file was made in Affinity Publisher, but I guess anyone can open the PDF. The image files are JPG or PNG, the VS source files are there too. A little bit messy sometimes in the layers 😉

• I just posted a video about Isometric drawing in VS. It's roughly the same content as the above PDF with a little bit extra information.
    Youtube link
    (play it faster than the real speed, I really think I need more energy in the way I speak 😅 )

The next step will be to draw the same object, once as an isometric drawing, once as a conical perspective one. I don't know yet if I will do it as a time lapse or as a tutorial.

• @Devil-Dinosaur

Great youtube tutorial
    like how clearly you described everthing 👍

Had as a suggestion, to include maybe
    also a link to the VectorStyler homepage
    below the Video
    (for public relation purpose) 🙂

• Thank you ☺
    Sure, I'm putting a link right now.

• @Devil-Dinosaur, thank you for also making a video tutorial to augment the written one. I find your speaking voice to be calming and perfect for tutorials ☺
    I look forward to your next installment!

• @Victor-Vector Thank you ☺

• Hi Everyone,
    I just posted another Isometric drawing tutorial.
    Isometric Part 2
    Once again the pace is verrryyy slow and my globish shows flaws.

Nevertheless, I think it may help , that's why I posted it. I already prepare the next one that will be more interesting with more examples and work in progress and less explanations while slowly mumbling. 😅

• Only had a quick look at your tutorial.
    But was already impressed how you explain
    how to create an isometric sphere 👍

And since I read subtitles, you can mumble
    without to worry 🙂

• @Devil-Dinosaur I am enjoying your tutorial right now. Again, no apologies needed, your deliver is fine. Thank you for addressing the more complex isometric shapes!

• Part 3 of my isometric drawing tutorials. This time it's about accuracy in the settings and the use of VS "actions".
    The good news for you is that I found a way to do time lapses 😁 , even if I don't use it enough right now...
    Isometric Drawing Part 3

• Awesome, subscribed

• @plrang Thank You 🙂

• @Devil-Dinosaur Thanks once again for this latest isometric installment. They get better with each one!

• I am impressed how detailed you describe everything in your tutorials.
    Could become the encyclopedia of isometric graphics 🙂

• Thank you both. ☺

Actually it's absolutely not an encyclopedia 😉 because of the shortcuts and simplification I use to save time. The target is illustrators but not technical drawing technician for whom things have to be perfectly accurate. For what I would call "artistic" illustration it's fine, quick and efficient to create and rotate shapes instead of building them each twice (top and side). As long as they stick to the grid, the global rules are applied. But the result is not totally true in terms of accuracy.

It's the same thing with the linear perspective than I plan to develop on a coming tutorial. The example of how to make windows on my first perspective tutorial is consistent and plausible, but I didn't use exact measurement to define the size and space reduction. There's of course a way to do it, using some top view and side view. But in the case of an illustration, no one will check if the last window is strictly the size it should be.

For my own work, I like to simply estimate what looks acceptable. I really try to emphasize on the storytelling and global mood rather than accuracy. 🤖 👾

• @Devil-Dinosaur said in Isometric Drawing Tutorial:

It's the same thing with the linear perspective than I plan to develop on a coming tutorial. The example of how to make windows on my first perspective tutorial is consistent and plausible, but I didn't use exact measurement to define the size and space reduction.

I was playing around with your first tutorial, the building using 2-point perspective, and I was attempting to develop a technique using the Repeater, hoping there was a way to fake the perspective foreshortening using a scale gradient, but the tool only seems to apply the scale on both the X and Y axis, whereas I was hoping to isolate it to only the X axis, to make it look like the windows were receding into the distance.

0_1656289317793_fc9e5d44-a5ca-4055-b165-e01fdfacd057-image.png

I had no luck with that. Indeed if anyone knows a way to accomplish it using the Repeater, it would make the Repeater so powerful to just make 1 complicated window element, then repeat it in a matrix. One could make a complicated cityscape very quickly, not to mention other applications.