Warp - middle point of an effect?

• It's me again.
    I can't adjust the middle point position in some effects, need to switch something or it is as it is?

check this out

• @plrang

Don't know what Warp Effect you used Warp seems
    to be a bit limited when editing nodes.

Here a Way with the "Envelope Shape Effect".
    Some Explanations to insert nodes
    select a a node and press the + Key (works also with Envelope Shape Effect)
    ( Btw. most Node editing Tools work with Envelope Shape Effect )

To change Values in a Panel set your Cursor in that Field
    and press UP- or DOWN Arrow Keys

Here the Video Example with Envelope Shape Effect:

0_1656519100630_Warp.png

• Here the Way to get a better Curve Warp with Envelope Shape Effect.

First with Cubic Curve then Quadratic Curve.
    See Video here:

0_1656520032840_Quadratic.png

• administrators

@plrang said in Warp - middle point of an effect?:

I can't adjust the middle point position in some effects, need to switch something or it is as it is?

No such option for now. All the warp effects have a centered geometry.
    But you can convert the Warp effect into a mesh using the "Convert to Mesh" button in the Warp effect parameters (Shape Effect panel).
    After converting to a Mesh, the center nodes can be selected and dragged together.

• I'm trying that Envelope on a rectangle with that flag nested and it worked once. Now i can't replicate it and can't find the right option. The flag doesn't follow the envelope.

problem

• administrators

@plrang The Envelope shape has a bit larger nodes at the corners. This is either not the Envelope or some option is disable to avoid transforming the group content.
    Select the object and check what is listed in the Shape Effects panel.
    Then select the Envelope / Mesh in that list, and press the second button at the bottom of the panel to enable the editing.

• @plrang

In my attempts Envelope worked only with Vector objects
    and it did not work if a Bitmap was included.

I don't know if Enevelop doesn't work with bitmaps in general.
    Maybe only a flag has to be set.

@VectorStyler
    Does Envelope work also with Bitmaps ?
    If yes, what need to be set ?

• administrators

@Subpath said in Warp - middle point of an effect?:

Does Envelope work also with Bitmaps ?

Yes it should work: open the Envelope (or other) effect options and click on the settings icon in the top right corner.
    This opens the distortion options popover. Enable the "Distort Images" option.

0_1656571632515_envelope.png

• @VectorStyler @Subpath

Here is a longer envelope with nested shapes - clip. That green rectangle is a container for using the envelope. As you can see all the transformations work except that one where I'm trying to use nodes added to the rectangle.
    It worked once, but I can't replicate it since I was so sure about the solution I forgot it ;->

Some additional thoughts:

If WARP has the options as Arching etc, in my opinion they should allow to change the position of the effect center. Otherwise it's a lost opportunity and in fact the whole WARP menu is a preset which is duplicating the Envelope a bit (when it works).

That way this stuff takes too much place and because it's scattered here and there it's hard to manage.

Again thanks a lot for your help!

• @Subpath
    Thanks for your helpful vids.
    I tried the envelope on a group of the flag elements and it worked as in your example.
    But I need that clipping rectangle to make the flag shorter sometimes and with that rectangle I can't make it work :-}.
    I just don't want to adjust the width each time I need to change something.

• @plrang

Unfortunately do not know where the problem could be.

Here is a video that I have leaned on your flag.
    I use only vector objects.

The video step by step

0_1656586406212_Enevelop with clipped.png

• @VectorStyler

Thank you, didnt know that

• @plrang

Well, I think the warp options are fine.
    Is a quick and easy way to some warp types.
    Sometimes users just need only that.

And the Envelope are for more specific needs.

• @Subpath Thanks, your videos helped, you would make great tutorials on Tiktok or YT.
    @VectorStyler I think your point about the nodes was also correct, because here is the difference between the working and not working rectangle (as an envelope).

Seems like the second one got converted to a curve or something.

0_1656592451472_d434d1d9-31f4-49c4-9f74-da8a3994f2c3-image.png

• @plrang

...Thanks, your videos helped, you would make great tutorials on Tiktok or YT...

Glady
    I've thought about it before, but so far I couldn't decide to do it.
    Because it is quite a lot of work.

• administrators

Here is a longer envelope with nested shapes - clip.

In the very last step (at 1.11), it looks like the envelope is not edited anymore, only the group clipping shape. In the shape effects panel, the second button should be active, not the third.

I added the center point editing to the new features backlog, and if all goes well, it could make it into version 1.2 (sometimes this autumn).

• @Subpath Yeas it can be a lot of work, byt on Tiktok people manage to share less than 1 minute long tutorials, you should check that out.

@VectorStyler That 1.11 is just one of many tries I had. 2023 autumn gonna be extraordinary.

There is still one problem, here is a simple Envelope nicely working, yet those distortion are bit too much. Can that be fixed?
    I can allow distortions to a certain level, but would like to know if there is anything I can do to improve it.

0_1656626103164_c1143fd5-6969-4f12-8279-3437306f9ab3-image.png

• administrators

@VectorStyler That 1.11 is just one of many tries I had. 2023 autumn gonna be extraordinary.

1.2 is planned for 2022 autumn (no exact date).

There is still one problem, here is a simple Envelope nicely working, yet those distortion are bit too much. Can that be fixed?

Not sure exactly which part is too distorted, are these the red stripes? Some distortion options like Smoothness and Subdivision (seen in the screenshot sent earlier in this thread) can be used to control huw much distortion occurs.

• @plrang

... yet those distortion are bit too much ...

to set more Nodes (select one Node and press + Key)
    or try a different curve Typ (Quadratic / Cubic)
    could also be helpful

• @VectorStyler Sorry, I was dead tired, 2022;)

Yes, stripes and that blue part of the flag got some offset from the stripes. Additional options didn't fix that. Well I can live with that and fix things by hand. That's my first use of this effect, so gonna test it more later with some production ready design.

@Subpath Tried that, your earlier vids explained everything, tx.