Manual Kerning ?

• @VectorStyler Yep, I thought about that. Which means AI uses them for kerning anyway?

• administrators

@b77 said in Manual Kerning ?:

Which means AI uses them for kerning anyway?

could be, but they also changed other standard shortcuts

• @VectorStyler et al

Here on 052, ctrl+option+ left or right arrow doesn't kern here on my Mac - it's still just the same as before ctrl+option + < or > (period/comma) ?

Edit: I just realised that of course, I have my own prefs set, and don't resort to the default doh 🙂

Is this something that can be simply changed in keyboard shortcuts rather than having something hard coded into the app ?

Edit: I just answered my own question 🙂 It can easily be changed in keyboard shortcuts (LOL, I just noticed that there's a keyboard shortcut for keyboard shortcuts, how ironic is that 🙂 ), issue resolved (for me at least, my keyboard shortcuts are completely bastardised to my own preferences anyway). What confused me was that the keyboard command was increment/decrement tracking and not kerning - which I couldn't find :-). It does both as discussed before - depending on whether all the text is selected or you're in between two characters.
    Don't you just love that VS can be maltreated in this way 🙂

Neil

• @b77 said in Manual Kerning ?:

Is there a way to unify these — make it work the same on Mac and Windows?

See my answer above 🙂

Neil

• @Igull I don't use Windows, but I was just wondering if having the same shortcuts on both platforms would not be better.

(Yes, I know the shortcut can be customized — I'm just discussing what would be the best defaults).

• @b77 said in Manual Kerning ?:

@Igull I don't use Windows, but I was just wondering if having the same shortcuts on both platforms would be better.

(Yes, I know the shortcut can be customized — I'm just discussing what would be the best defaults).

Sorry about that - yes, it would make complete sense to have them the same. My personal preference is option + arrow, but it's of no importance to anyone other than myself as you can change it to be whatever obtuse keypresses that you wish - like ctrl+option+ period for instance LOL 🙂

I'm sure that there's a wonderful discussion to be had on whether there should be defaults anyway as most folks have a preference about everything in life, so who actually cares what they are as long as they work for you ?

Neil

• Global Moderator

@Igull said in Manual Kerning ?:

@b77 said in Manual Kerning ?:

@Igull I don't use Windows, but I was just wondering if having the same shortcuts on both platforms would be better.

Sorry about that - yes, it would make complete sense to have them the same. My personal preference is option + arrow,

No, it makes much more sense to match the shortcuts to the conventions of the operating system the program is running under. Someone using a Mac and going from one program to another on that Mac will generally want the shortcuts to match more closely between those apps.

The Option + left/right arrow key combination should jump the cursor position by words for an app which is running on the Mac. Any other usage of those keys while working with text is a failure to conform to platform standards.

• administrators

@fde101 The good thing is that it can always be customized.

• @VectorStyler said in Manual Kerning ?:

@fde101 The good thing is that it can always be customized.

You are ABSOLUTELY correct !!! Personally, this is one of VS's most loved features - being able to just make it so 🙂

So many other apps (not just computer apps, but tools and stuff in general - it drives me nuts !) just tie you in to their way of thinking with scant regard to your own preference and working method.

Please don't EVER change this !

Neil

• @fde101 said in Manual Kerning ?:

a failure to conform to platform standards

Yes, I completely agree with you, folks that do that should have their mice (mouses?) taken away from them and forced to use trackpads 🙂

It really depends on how far back you are prepared to defend these standards - I'd have a wee read of anything that Jef Raskin wrote on the subject.

I'm certainly not going to defend anything assumed as a standard currently - I rued the day that apple changed command+m for move to stuff it in the dock 🙂

Neil