Preview of booleans

• macOS: Preview of boolean operations works from the toolbar and the program menu, but not the contextual menu.

Would it be easy to add or not? No big deal - just asking 🙂

• administrators

@Ingolf I added this to the backlog. Since it works from the main menu, it should not be an issue as the popup menu works in the same way.

• @Ingolf said in Preview of booleans:

macOS: Preview of boolean operations works from the toolbar and the program menu, but not the contextual menu.
    Would it be easy to add or not? No big deal - just asking

How do you access this? is my mac too old to preview?

• administrators

@Dazmondo It is enabled in Preferences -> Document Editor -> Preview Shape Combine (bottom - left checkbox).

• It doesn't work from the program menu in Windows; my own gut feeling is that it is an OS thing, updating document window while navigating in the program menu?

I didn't expect it to work in the program menu, but now that it does in macOS, it would be cool if it worked too in context sensitive menu.

• administrators

@Ingolf I think the Windows menu issue is a bug.

• @VectorStyler Wow --- what a great feature --- I'd vote for this being on by default, although, I'm guessing there must be some GPU overhead in some cases?

Thank's to Ingolf for the post --- I never would have know about this, but that's the cool think about this forum, as VS is really DEEP, this is a great place to come to find out lots of tips and tricks and discover some hidden gem features.

• @Dazmondo said in Preview of booleans:

great feature --- I'd vote for this being on by default,

+1
    i second this maybe not on by default, but at least more visible

• @Dazmondo said in Preview of booleans:

I'd vote for this being on by default, although, I'm guessing there must be some GPU overhead in some cases?

As you were mentioning, I'm sure it has to do with keeping performance from taking a hit.
    We probably need to collate all these tips and power settings in a thread in the tutorials so new users (and current users looking to improve the VS experience) can find them and activate what they prefer.
    I was thinking about the preferences overall and how easy it is to create a custom preferences file - wondering if would make sense to have some user-curated preference settings files based on certain criteria. obviously there are many things that the individual would still want to modify themselves.
    One of the things in the queue when it comes to preferences is the eventual ability to turn on and off sections between the VS default and customized preference settings. This was in part to be able to narrow down on what part of the preferences affects a particular bug issue in VS. Right now we need to remove the entire preferences file and return to the default to check if it's something in our customized settings that is the culprit. That now can be a daunting task currently without the ability to turn on and off sections.
    I could eventually see user being able to install a section of preferences from another user and keep the rest default or customized themselves. I'm not a developer, so I don't know how much of this is possible much less feasible, but at least the ideas are out there!

• I would say that the preview of booleans is the biggest usability service a program like VS can provide. No two vector programs call booleans quite the same, the icons are also often different, and in any case it's pretty hard to figure out the result when there are multiple objects involved. For those new to vector graphics, this is perhaps the only quick way to understand the functionality, and therefore a wonderful key feature.

Again here I would fret if the option ends up far away in preferences, so a toggle in the paths panel is obvious (but few will find it), while the more logical and easily accessible place is in the view menu... if the view/display/preview items are just organized a bit differently.

@VectorStyler And while we're on the subject, I'd like to recommend that outline preview, vector preview and bitmap preview be renamed to outline view, vector view and bitmap view, so that they are logically somewhat in their own genre and can be grouped in isolation from true previews in the user interface, here the program menus.

That way true previews can be grouped separately, view modes separately and third and fourth type views grouped. And the user interface becomes a notch easier to survey and understand.

• administrators

@Ingolf The new build 1.1.062 fixes the boolean preview should work from the context menu and on Windows.

• @VectorStyler said in Preview of booleans:

@Ingolf The new build 1.1.062 fixes the boolean preview should work from the context menu and on Windows.

Certainly does on macOS