Option to select within groups added to VS?

• I was checking to see if the ability to select same-attribute objects was available to do so inside of groups; if there was an option to check to allow that?

0_1664469000226_ef88d3ad-299f-49ed-b4dc-5b8d93651253-BLD 2022-09-29 at 12.27.14.png

• administrators

@Boldline By default, "select similar" will go into other groups also to select by similar styles.

If you enable "Select Siblings", it will only select in the same group / layer.

• @VectorStyler When you wrote, "By default, "select similar" will go into other groups also to select by similar styles." Are you referring to right here in the selection options?

0_1664470000212_d8759cb6-b4f7-4eed-9749-8606657d9146-BLD 2022-09-29 at 12.45.59.png

An interesting thing I had overlooked - sometimes I am using an existing grouped set of objects as my source when I want to select all the same attribute and it does not seem to work that way. My inherent thought was that so long as everything in the grouped shape has the exact same attributes, it should not matter that it's a grouped set and function just like it would with a single vector shape source - but it does not.
    When I tried using the group in the image below as the source, it failed - but when I used a single object like the rectangle on the left side of the image, it was able to select everything in the groups above.

Is there an option or way to allow a group to be the source if it contains the same attributes? Or would I always need to make a single object and color it like the group and use it instead?
    0_1664469941502_0271f054-68cc-46b9-b5a6-06df7138127e-BLD 2022-09-29 at 12.45.01.png

• administrators

@Boldline said in Option to select within groups added to VS?:

@VectorStyler When you wrote, "By default, "select similar" will go into other groups also to select by similar styles." Are you referring to right here in the selection options?

No, I was referring to the whole section of selection modes that is starting with the greyed "Select Similar" label.

An interesting thing I had overlooked - sometimes I am using an existing grouped set of objects as my source when I want to select all the same attribute and it does not seem to work that way.

Yes, I think that the actual object with a style must be selected for this. Selecting a group will not work.
    But I was thinking that maybe there should be the case where it would match for any of the styles inside that group. I have to add this.

When I tried using the group in the image below as the source, it failed - but when I used a single object like the rectangle on the left side of the image, it was able to select everything in the groups above.

Yes, support for groups is missing. Actually the problem is that it trie to take the group level styles (can exists) but there are none.

Is there an option or way to allow a group to be the source if it contains the same attributes? Or would I always need to make a single object and color it like the group and use it instead?

For now, a single object is needed. I added this to the backlog.

• @VectorStyler ok that makes sense about the "select similar" now.
    it would be handy to eventually have the select same attribute use whatever attributes align inside a grouping. I think I was inadvertently using grouped vectors as a source by mistake and that may have led to issues trying to get things to properly select. I'll be more careful to use a single object for this in the future and see how it goes.

• This might already be inferred in the earlier part of this thread, but in case it's not; There is also the strong wish to be able to select an object nestled within a group and use that as the source for selecting all related objects on the layer/artboard, etc... if this is already a possibility, I have not figured it out yet.

• administrators

@Boldline said in Option to select within groups added to VS?:

There is also the strong wish to be able to select an object nestled within a group and use that as the source for selecting all related objects on the layer/artboard

Yes, this is possible. Select the object inside the group (small circle in the Layers panel), and enable the "Select Inside Layer" and / or the "Select Inside Artboard" options.