Dealing with colors

• @Petar_MK OK, but I don't see the advantage — is it just that instead of activating the Stroke attribute with a click on the part that is not under the Fill button, you now have only one button with two states that can be changed with left- and right-click? Or maybe just with left-click always to change between attributes?

Or maybe you just consider a button with two states visually better?

Again, sorry if I miss something obvious.

• It is not complicated at all.
    If you left/right click on the (single) icon next to the sliders or left/right click on a color icon in swatches you apply a fill/stroke (outline) color to the object.
    No attributes at all.
    As simple as this.

• @Petar_MK Not saying it's complicated, but I don't see why it is better than the current two overlapping buttons — one for the Fill attribute and the other for the Stroke attribute. Just because one single button has a bigger hit area?

Also: what are the specific disadvantages of the current method? You do know that you can drag the color from the Fill button to the Stroke button to assign the same color to the stroke?

• administrators

@Petar_MK There is always room for improvement, we just need to clarify a bit.

So first, things that already exist:

• left/right click on color wheel to set fill/stroke colors
    • left/right click in palette bar (on the margin of the window) also sets fill/stroke colors
    • left/right click in palette panel (a.k.a swatches) sets fill/stroke colors

Things that are missing, and could these help ?

• left/right click on an item in Presets or Styles panels. Currently its left double click by default (can be changed to single click in menu). But these are not used that frequently.
    • and a bit stretched, but why not: right click+drag the color sliders in the color panel. The color sliders are the only direct color selection, where the fill/stroke knob should be selected first.

If there are other ways to improve color selection, I'm happy to listen 🙂

• @vectoradmin said in Dealing with colors:

left/right click on color wheel to set fill/stroke colors
    left/right click in palette bar (on the margin of the window) also sets fill/stroke colors
    left/right click in palette panel (a.k.a swatches) sets fill/stroke colors

Yes, thats OK. Setting color without selected object, applying color with selected object.

@vectoradmin said in Dealing with colors:

left/right click on an item in Presets or Styles panels. Currently its left double click by default (can be changed to single click in menu). But these are not used that frequently.
    and a bit stretched, but why not: right click+drag the color sliders in the color panel.

Sorry, but I don't understand what you mean with these bullets.

@vectoradmin said in Dealing with colors:

The color sliders are the only direct color selection, where the fill/stroke knob should be selected first.

Those two knobs (fill/stroke icons) should be replaced with only one knob/icon that can be left/right click to set/apply the color to fill/stroke.

• administrators

@Petar_MK The second set of bullets are possible ideas for improvement.
    0_1626454541522_fillstroke.png
    The above fill/stroke knob is almost universal by now, so this would be hard to change (from usability point of view).

Do you mean, to have the color selected first with the slider, and then click on an icon to apply as fill and another icon to apply as stroke color?

• @vectoradmin said in Dealing with colors:

The above fill/stroke knob is almost universal by now, so this would be hard to change (from usability point of view).

I was thinking the same thing - this is universal and understood across the board.

I am curous however what this single knob would look like. Would you do a quick sketch of your vision for it @Petar_MK ?

• OK. Just leave it as it is. I can't explain it better. English is not my mother tongue.

• @Petar_MK When the Fill button in the Color panel is active (it overlaps the Stroke button), you can Option-drag any of the sliders to change the color of the stroke directly, without having to click the Stroke button first (or press X) to activate it.

So you can't drag sliders with the right button of the mouse, but Option-drag works.

Does that help?

• Yes, thank you.