New user, i stuck with a simple thing

• Hi

Although VectorStyler is still a bit buggy on PC in some cases.
    Objects disappear and I have two very strange crashes
    Where the VectorStyler interface shattered into pieces and looked like
    modern video art. I have to use the task manager to exit VectorStyler.
    I still like the program and look forward to exploring it further.

I have one question that I'm stuck on:
    How do you convert a stroke to a shape/curve? E.g. an artistic stroke.
    Here is a picture, I want the result on the right.
    0_1632475264684_VS-Stroke-in-Shape.png

I am on a PC, Win 10. Surely a simple thing, but I could not figure
    it out. Seems so because I'm not familiar with the VectorStyler
    philosophy and I think VectorStyler does things a bit differently
    than other vector programs I know.

In other vector programs I know, this is just a simple
    Convert path/stroke to curve command. How does this work in VectorStyler,
    I read through the posts on the forum and found something like:
    Expand (didn't find it) and Convert to Curves, but that doesn't work.
    They are grayed out in the menu. No matter what I do.

If someone can enlighten me with a step by step instructions.
    I would be very grateful 😉
    Thanks a lot in advance.

• administrators

@Subpath2 A bit different for brush then stroke.
    For brush:

• select the object with the brush.
    • select Style -> Expand Stroke (this results in an object with a bend effect).
    • select Object -> Convert to Curves (this results in a group of objects).
    • select Object -> Ungroup (or all) to access the content of the vector brush.

Convert to Curve is not needed for stroke, but Ungroup may be needed if the object also had a fill (or multiple stroke).

What are the bugs?

• administrators

@Subpath2 How much time of usage it takes to have that broken look? It might be some resource issue.

• @vectoradmin thank you, will try it.

Leads me to one further question.
    What is meant a Brush in VectorStyler
    and what a Stroke ? To avoid misconceptions.

• @vectoradmin said in New user, i stuck with a simple thing:

@Subpath2 How much time of usage it takes to have that broken look? It might be some resource issue.

Would say that was quick, in the blink of an eye.
    That was when I was trying to figure out how to convert an artistic brush into a shape/curve.

In the process, I tried a workaround and rasterized the Artistic Brush in a Bitmap and make them to Vector via the tracer.

About at the point where I was trying to figure out how to edit the tracing results. That's why I pressed a few
    Buttons and tried around, but can't remember which ones. If this happens again, I'll take a screenshot.

I just found out the function of the expand button in the Tracer Panel today and know now how to make a tracing result editable.

I didn't see anything serious with the other bugs, I will report them when I see them again. I was too surprised the first time.

A few of them may have been just a misuse on my part. Because VectorStyler already has a very different concept than I'm used to. And my experience with vector graphics may be more in the way of understanding it.

• @vectoradmin . ...where the VectorStyler interface shattered into pieces and looked like
    modern video art....

I have experienced the same several times in the last few days. I had VS running for a long time then. Unfortunately, I don't know what exactly caused them.

• administrators

@Subpath2 said in New user, i stuck with a simple thing:

What is meant a Brush in VectorStyler
    and what a Stroke ? To avoid misconceptions.

Stroke: the outline attribute of an object with a shape. It can have dashes, stripes and profile (also caps and arrows). Can be filled with a solid color, but also pattern or gradient (including gradient along / across the stroke).

Brush: a collection vectors, stretched along the object shape, has no dashes or stripes, but can have a profile. It may use a single color to style these vectors, or each vector can have its own color.

A Brush is more resource intensive than a Stroke, and when expanding, the Brush results in the constituent objects (vectors) grouped and bent along the original shape (using the Bend effect). This is why an extra convert to curve step is needed for the Brush.

• administrators

@encart said in New user, i stuck with a simple thing:

@vectoradmin . ...where the VectorStyler interface shattered into pieces and looked like
    modern video art....

I have experienced the same several times in the last few days. I had VS running for a long time then. Unfortunately, I don't know what exactly caused them.

It looks like some sort of resource problem. I will try to replicate this one and find a fix. Meanwhile, as a workaround, VS could be restarted every now and then.
    But please let me know if you still encounter this issue.

• It was not possible to close VectorStyler at that time because the whole
    program area was a mess. There was nothing that looked like a user
    interface anymore.

Only an impressive video art-like image with smashed abstract things.
    I could quit Vectorstyler or the rest of it, only via the task manager.

And both cases where it was by me, was when i convert a Artistic Brush
    in Bitmap, trace it and try to figure out how to make the nodes then editable for me.

• administrators

@Subpath2 Sounds like a DirectX display problem.
    Artistic brushes are vectors in VS, there should be no need for tracing to expand.
    Was there some bitmap brush that needed tracing?

• Only closing from the task manager was possible.

• @vectoradmin

No, there was no bitmap Brush that need tracing.

I know that Artistic Brushes are Vector in VectorStyler.
    And as i wrote in my above Post i have convert a Artistic Brush to a
    Bitmap and trace it only as a "workaround". To convert this way a Artistic
    Brush in a Shape/Curve.

Because at this time i did not know how do Convert
    the Artistic Brush in Curve/Shape.

• @vectorstyler I primarily use VS on my Mac, but I do have VS on a Windows laptop as well. Is there anything specific we can do to help you find these bugs in the Windows version?

• administrators

@Boldline It looks like after long time of use, the UI display might break. Not clear yet how long it need to be used.
    Seems to be some kind of resource leak.

I added this to the backlog and will try to replicate it.

• @Subpath2
    0_1632487033390_screenshot_20210924_142924.png
    View> Customize>Keyboard Shortcuts.

It maybe useful for you. Sometimes when I'm not sure if something is possible Im typing in search field keyword .
    A few day ago I was wondering if I can select locked object, and the answer was there

The entire customize menu is worth attention:)

• @encart , thanks for the tip. I will have a look at it.

• @vectoradmin , I am not sure about "... after a long time of use". Because in my cases I think VS ran maybe 1 hour but i think rather lesser. As far as I remember.

• administrators

@Subpath2 said in New user, i stuck with a simple thing:

@vectoradmin , I am not sure about "... after a long time of use". Because in my cases I think VS ran maybe 1 hour but i think rather lesser. As far as I remember.

Good to know. I will try to replicate it.

• @vectoradmin , thank you for your very clear and well description of the differences between Brush and Stroke in VS. I appreciate it!

• @vectoradmin Have these glitches now.
    https://recordit.co/rbaFOh7r1T
    Is there anything what would help you? I'm keeping VS opened now.

I left VS opened for a few hours , drew a rectangle, rouunded the corners and clicked an arrow button near stroke input field. I'm showing that at the begining.