Remove selection info from the toolbar please - can be seen in the status bar

• If we removed it now by MAGIC globally on installed computers, who would miss it? Who would report it missing? Why doesn't anyone else provide this info in their toolbars?

It was put there because Adobe has it there, fine, but does ANYONE use it?

• @Ingolf As @b77 put it, having it there is actually a helpful tool for new users, so long as it's not redundant.
    also as I mentioned twice, I find use for it daily actually

• @b77 said in Remove selection info from the toolbar please - can be seen in the status bar:

@Ingolf said in Remove selection info from the toolbar please - can be seen in the status bar:
    Btw, at one point you suggested a dynamic line of text that shows the options and shortcuts for the current tool.

True, I suggested an information/help panel that can be displayed or not based on user choice, AND THEN the help text doesn't have to be as short as in a status bar in the bottom (Like Affinity and Inkscape).This would separate information from settings. And even leave some breathing room for customization of this panel.

But pretty please, with sugar on top, not in the contect panel. πŸ™‚

• @b77 I know you jest, but making the top info bar a dropdown does not take up any more room and solves the issue of redundancy.

I don't speak in jest. I do think that a dropdown menu would make the context panel look busier (and it would need more room, actually).

@VectorStyler A more elegant solution would be to let the user right-click this readout and choose another option, including 'None'.
    No dropdown, just right-click over it, similar to the way you can right-click the ruler origin to change the measurement unit.

@Ingolf Beginners and those who do more technical drawing need it.

• @Ingolf said in Remove selection info from the toolbar please - can be seen in the status bar:

Why doesn't anyone else provide this info in their toolbars?

CDR does show this info in the bar at the bottom of the screen (circled by me in orange):

alt text

• @b77

The down arrow does not take much room in the lower example
    0_1662988456429_afee1744-da34-426e-b400-b40dff027ae1-BLD 2022-09-12 at 09.12.48.png

• @b77 said in Remove selection info from the toolbar please - can be seen in the status bar:

@Ingolf said in Remove selection info from the toolbar please - can be seen in the status bar:

Why doesn't anyone else provide this info in their toolbars?

CDR does show this info in the bar at the bottom of the screen (circled by me in orange):

alt text

Yes, but that is as you wirte yourself at the bottom of the screen. Exactly where I said information belongs. That is a status bar, not a toolbar.

• @Ingolf
    I would argue that the top is better for this because that is where the context settings for the selected object are located and your eyes are there already, and you could say some justification why it's better to be at the bottom. πŸ™‚

I don't think Adobe or Corel or any of us can say definitively that the top left corner or the bottom is the best for this.

I repeat again, just in case the developer missed it:

An elegant solution would be to let the user right-click this readout and choose another option, including 'None'.
    No dropdown, just right-click over it, similar to the way you can right-click the ruler origin to change the measurement unit.

Would that be bad, @Ingolf?

• @Boldline said in Remove selection info from the toolbar please - can be seen in the status bar:

@b77

The down arrow does not take much room in the lower example
    0_1662988456429_afee1744-da34-426e-b400-b40dff027ae1-BLD 2022-09-12 at 09.12.48.png

Having this always visible in the context panel is too much…

• @b77 ok now I know you are jesting lol. I completely disagree as there are several other things that can be consolidated or removed completely from the menu bar and make tons of room. but this topic is not worth continuing really... it's hit a dead end and now we are just repeating ourselves. so I'm done for now.
    Fire up that UI thread and throw out some of your mockups and we can discuss serious options

• @Boldline Will do!

@Ingolf
    I don't think Adobe or Corel or any of us can say definitively that the top left corner or the bottom is the best for this.

First of all, the toolbar is a toolbar. This is for settings. This is how it works in almost every toolbar out there. Some provide some info, but often just the name of the selected tool.

A de facto standard is to put this information in the status bar. That where I would look for it because of exactly that, it is very common, and others will too. And having information spread around the interface is clumsy and bad design.

If you want users to jump aboard easily you do not invent your own logic or clutter the interface. That is what I am trying to say. I am not using myself as the starting point here. I am trying to pull VS closer to more common design. I can easily remove it when it possible.

Usability is all about taking advantage of common knowledge from software and the world - de facto standards included - not challenging users with new logic in everything, UNLESS your method is significantly smarter. This just isn't.

I repeat again, just in case the developer missed it:
    An elegant solution would be to let the user right-click this readout and choose another option, including 'None'.
    Would that be bad, @Ingolf?

It would be another instance of non-standard interaction with the user interface. Making the software more and more complicated. What could my opinion possibly be here? πŸ™‚

I have to prioritize my time now, my vacation just ended, I give up. πŸ™‚ Fine, as long as I can remove all this information that totally clutters the interface to the limit with information with very limited value. I used more time than I like customizing the default interface towards what I am used to from professional standards out there.

Still didn't hear people advocate for the actual value of this information, for example when using the pencil. This is just a silly discussion about moving bricks in a wall around a bit.

• @Boldline and @Ingolf We all said our piece, let's take a break β€” any personal reproof should go via private chat.

any personal reproof should go via private chat.

Let me make this perfectly clear: no one here is going to expose me to any "personal reproof" ! Ever! Got it? Not in the forum nor in a private chat. If you can't handle dialogue or debate, then you'll have to retreat to Twitter.

Boldline is on ignore here, after he sent me several and very personal and intense private angry messages months ago, one-way communication I didn’t reply to, just blocked him to avoid the stream of messages, and therefore I am not going to discuss with him here or via chat.

Since then I have only seen his posts to the extent quotes or the forum accidentally exposed me to.

• administrators

@Ingolf Done, lets see how it works out πŸ™‚

• @VectorStyler Can I re-enable it somewhere in Prefs?

• administrators

@b77 No 😞

• administrators

@b77 But it is easy to have it back in the next build if this way is not working out.
    Otherwise once I reach the context panel customization (further down the road), this may go either way.

• @VectorStyler I'm not sure there is a way to measure the 'working out' part, and the ones who posted here will avoid stepping on each other's toes. πŸ™‚
    Either way, I hope some Prefs setting gets included sooner than later, thanks! πŸ‘

• @b77 @VectorStyler I already miss it! lol. I can be a team player and wait for it to be an option again down the road. We're never all going to agree on these things.
    I liked having the option to see my selection and count at the top like that and use the bottom one as a timer.

For example, these now stick out to me, lol. They could be part of the vertical toolbar by default and available to add to the transform contextual menu as desired, etc.
    0_1665751028470_3f193804-fc50-4393-8ff2-1fd0ade7527c-BLD 2022-10-14 at 08.35.41.png
    The future flexibility of customizing the contextual bar will be the best solution for all.