Bitmap and layout apps?

• @Petar_MK What are you looking for in terms of bitmaps? What are you needing a VS companion app to do that is not offered in Affinity Publisher?
    I can appreciate your approach @vectoradmin to dedicating time to making VS a success. Affinity for example, jumped into three apps with 2 (almost 3) of them also on the ipad. I think they spread themselves too thin. Designer in particular I feel has been slowed to a crawl in terms of development and basic things are still lacking. I'm not tyring to dump on Affinity - just saying it contrasts to what I see with VS having a multi-year dedicated focus while already offering so many things lacking in other vector apps.

• Bitmap (not offered in Affinity Photo)

• list itemNon-destructive filters and adjustments (all of them);
    • list itembetter raw engine (like in Raw Therapee);
    • list item1-bit color mode;
    • list itemblack, white and gray point...

DTP (not offered in Affinity Publisher)

• Local paragraph and paragraph style settings must not reset local character and character style settings;
    • offering only global colors (not static) like InDesign and Quark;
    • GREP (regex) in paragraph styles;
    • Find/Replace glyphs;
    • Control palete like InDesign;
    • page spreads more than two with flexible page width;
    • footnotes...

Common

• No (too much) overlaping features;
    • global colors only;
    • visual color schemes (triads...)

• @Petar_MK Have you seen the existing bitmap filters and adjustments in the Image Effects panel?

• @Kyriakos In VectorStyler?

• @Petar_MK Yes, the panel Kyriakos mentioned is in VectorStyler's Panels menu > Effects > Image Effects.

• There are so many features, I don't know where to start.

• Maybe (some) photo editing features in near future?

• administrators

@Petar_MK Which photo editing features you would like to see?

• Well, all under "Image" menu from Photoshop, raw editing, all filters and layer effects from Affinity Photo (live), all adjustment layers (live, too) from PhotoLine (https://www.pl32.com/).
    Yes, I know this is an enormous job, but one at a time. No hurry.

• administrators

@Petar_MK Couple of observations:

• in VS all image filters (visible in the Effects menu and in the Image Effects panel) can be used as adjustment layers and adjustment filters on object background.
    • raw editing probably not going to make it into a vector app.
    • most of the blur, distort., noise and colour effects of Affinity are available in VS, as live effects, and also usable as adjustment effects
    • most of the VS blur effects have some interesting parameters.
    • there is a plan for the future to add more image effects, that are suitable for a vector app.

A quick adjustment effect guide:

• you can add adjustment effects to layers in the Layers panel.
    • you can turn any object (or group) into an adjustment layer, localized by the object shape or group content as a mask. Use the Object Options -> Adjustment Layer checkbox.
    • you can add adjustment styles in the Appearance panel that are local for object styling.

• Maybe there is some missunderstanding between us. I suppose all these features to be applied on bitmaps, not on vectors (only).

• @Petar_MK I suppose you mean being able to open and edit a photo in a bitmap, fixed-resolution document format and canvas?

• @Kyriakos said in Bitmap and layout apps?:

@Petar_MK I suppose you mean being able to open and edit a photo in a bitmap, fixed-resolution document format and canvas?

Yes, just like in Photoshop.

• @Petar_MK @Kyriakos Doesn't VS already have some bitmap halftone kind of function built in already?
    I agree with @vectoradmin that it's probably important to not stray too far from keeping the application a vector-based focus. That said, the ability to do a few things in raster is helpful - I need to play with it more, but the halftone bitmap abilities already inside VS are awesome