Understanding pen tool

• @b77 said in Understanding pen tool:

Not only AI and AD, but also CDR hasn't fixed this… they still draw the first segment with one handle. Sloppy and… path-etic! 🙂

I think you haven't use all the features of pen tool and its modifier key in AI or AD can't say about CDR. They doesn't only draw first segment with one handle, can create two handle also.

But anyway, giving examples of other apps that create the first segment like this is not a valid argument in itself.

No offence but this is discussion only for more featured and bug free VS.

• @Jayanta-Das Is the first segment when tracing something so far off that you need to use both handles to correct it?
    And you'd rather have just one handle for that, because it's easier to fix the curvature that way?

OK, then if we apply the same rule, the other segments should also have one of the handles retracted because they are easier to edit with a single handle?

………………………………

I still have AI CS5 here on a Sierra partition and I know that when you click-and-drag the first node (when starting a new path with the Pen tool), AI will indeed create a segment that has both handles visible (none is retracted).

But you asked for the handle of the first node to be retracted when simply clicking (without dragging) to create the first node.

That's what I replied to and that's what I disagree with. This creates segments that are more difficult to edit, and if you happen to export those paths to another app with more strict requirements you need to fix them by hand or use scripts for that.

(I hoped AI changed this in more recent releases, but from your video it looks like they didn't).

• @Jayanta-Das said in Understanding pen tool:

In AI or AD we can trace anything with pen tool with minimal adjustment of the handle after closing but in VS it is very much sure we have to adjust the handle of first node or second.

Maybe you can do a quick video comparison between AI and VS demonstrating this.

Maybe you can do a quick video comparison between AI and VS demonstrating this.

Ok I will make a comparison video.

• @b77 Below are the recordings of tracing with both AD and VS. You can clearly see that I can trace without even adjusting node after, but in VS I have to adjust the handle. The question is not about if VS can't do(VS is more featured and powerful than AD), the question is about how effortlessly you do.

Tracing with AD
    Tracing with VS

And I don't think there is any problem in having both the option of having first node drag and click to have handle place according to the like of user.

• @Jayanta-Das I don't know since when, but the same option is available in VS
    https://recordit.co/qYJsfbyzB9

Edit: Sorry, I got it wrong;)

• @encart I know that. Thats what we were discussing about. The starting node click and drag function. Dragging will place the handle were user want and VS do that very well.

• @encart It's indeed available in VS if you click-and-drag when creating the first node.

Jayanta suggested VS should behave the same way it does in AD (retracting the handle) if you only click, without dragging, when creating the first node.

Sorry @Jayanta-Das, I still don't see any advantage except that it's indeed easier to just click instead of click-and-drag for one single node, the first one.

(I asked for a comparison video thinking I missed some advantage of this related to closing the path, but it looks like I didn't).

Let's agree to disagree on this one. 👍

OK, then if we apply the same rule, the other segments should also have one of the handles retracted because they are easier to edit with a single handle?

Hope it helps you understand Video

• @Jayanta-Das I will continue this discussion via private message.

• @vectoradmin Here is a video of pen tool drawing two curve.
    First Curve: First node is simple click and second node is drag
    Second Curve: First node is drag and second node is click
    Should not those be same(mirror)?. If I create this in other program the two curve are same(mirror). As I already discussed about first node created in VS with pen tool in this thread. What would you say about this? I would really want to know.