Checking (& modifying) any artboard directly with the selection/transform tool

• Thanks. I had already checked the artboard editor shortcut.. ; I have to memorize it now (this tool is of no need in AD) ☺

• @PatrickM said in Checking (& modifying) any artboard directly with the selection/transform tool:

What I miss from other apps is the ability to select one(any) artboard directly with the selection/move/transform tool to modify it or simply check its dimensions (by a single click on the artboard name)

@PatrickM There is already a tool dedicated to what you are requesting in the vertical toolbar that you can click on and then click the artboard and get all relevant information and the ability to modify the artboard as well. As @b77 mentioned, "Shift-O" is the shortvut if you don't want to click on the toolbar icon.
    0_1644170968246_388cb26b-5bea-4598-aab6-5f5cb2247fdb-BLD 2022-02-06 at 13.08.02.png

• @Boldline Patrick wants the artboards to be selectable directly like any other object, with the Move/Transform tool (V), without having to use a special tool for it.

@PatrickM Since editing an artboard is not something the user does often when creating the artwork, is this essential for having a fast workflow?

• administrators

@b77 @PatrickM @Boldline
    In VS, the artboard selection will require a special tool (similar to how it is in AI).
    This is because artboards are not "objects" or "layers", but guides for the alignment of printing / exporting.

• @b77 oh ok, I understand now. thanks for helping clarify for me. No offense to @PatrickM , but this does not seem like a good idea because the user is clicking and dragging and using the Move/Transform tool (V) for all the things on the artboard itself. I could see myself accidentally clicking the artboard and mistakenly changing the settings that way.

• @b77 said in Checking (& modifying) any artboard directly with the selection/transform tool:

@PatrickM Since editing an artboard is not something the user does often when creating the artwork, is this essential for having a fast workflow?

@b77 I got into this habit with AD for some graphics where I use templates and then I modify the size of the artboards according to my needs. it suits me very well but it is not possible with VS and I will use the ad hoc tool.

• @PatrickM In the other programs that have this, how do you avoid inadvertently changing the artboard size when you're in the middle of a project?

• @Boldline said in Checking (& modifying) any artboard directly with the selection/transform tool:

No offense to...
    @PatrickM In the other programs that have this, how do you avoid inadvertently changing the artboard size when you're in the middle of a project?

I am not offended ☺ and as I wrote above, it is not an essential feature.
    Only the name (or the upper limit) of the artboard allows to modify it via the move tool ; I just have to be careful not to click either the title or this edge. As I can have 10, 20... artboards in a single document, this tool allows me to position, adjust/modify the objects on artboards & artboards themselves... just a matter of habit and the way it is in VS is fine.

• This seems to be a 1:1 adaption of the way it works in Adobe Illustrator that is also confusing. The Artboard Tool is both a select and transform and create tool for artboards. But the icon is placed far away from the transform tool with a slice symbol as icon, so I wouldn't argue that Adobe made an elegant solution. Serif based their approach on an entirely different architechture so comparing with that is not possible.

Some time ago someone wanted the transform tool options placed as a submenu in the toolbar and I objected because that should be reserved for actual tools. And here I would recommend a transform tool submenu with two transform tools, the regular and an artboard transform tool (it could just trigger the artboard tool). I think it would make perfect sense.

I don't use artboards myself so I am fine with the current setup.

• @Ingolf said in Checking (& modifying) any artboard directly with the selection/transform tool:

Some time ago someone wanted the transform tool options placed as a submenu in the toolbar and I objected because that should be reserved for actual tools. And here I would recommend a transform tool submenu with two transform tools, the regular and an artboard transform tool (it could just trigger the artboard tool). I think it would make perfect sense.

We still completely disagree on the first point 🙂

It also does not make sense to me to add a tool to the transform tool pullout that is related to the artboard settings. The transform tool deals with matters on the artboard, not the artboard itself. Ironically, the different transform tools currently in the contextual menu make more sense to me in the toolbar pullout 🙂