Making bounding box color dependent on object fill / stroke color ( accumulated )

• Notice: Accumulated into mega-topic.

alt text

EDIT: I didn't realize one could set the bounding box color via the layer, so there's that. I still think it would make for a better experience to have this happen automatically, even for arbitrarily sized stroke widths.

• @Nils Would you be able to elaborate a little more in the descriptive section of your posts? Sometimes it's obvious from your headline, but other times like this, I'm not sure I understand what you are asking for or about.

taking a guess at it, the bounding box color is tied to the color the layer is given in the layers panel. right now your layer is set to black. That can be easily changed by clicking the black rectangle fill shape on the far left side of "Layer 1" in your layers panel.
    You're also using a very wide stroke that covers most of your selection - strokes itself is highlighted, but not at the extremity of the width - just at the stroke itself

• @Boldline Firstly, I didn't realize one could set the bounding box color via the layer, thanks. Secondly, I still think it would make for a better experience to have this happen automatically, even for arbitrarily sized stroke widths. Will augment the topic description.

• @Nils I'm glad I was able to help explain the layer colors option - it's really handy to quickly know what layer an item is on simply by checking what color the path is highlighted with. The default color for the first layer is always black - sometimes i wish it defaulted to another color first, but it's easy enough to change as I had described.
    This comes in handy when working on a dark background, or with dark shapes, you can set the layer and corresponding selection color to a lighter color for better contrast, and vie-versa.

On your other point, are you asking for the entire width of the stroke to have a highlight around it? If so, I'm not thinking that is best - because the whole focus is on the path itself, that's where the stroke width originates from. When you click on the path or the stroke (there was a bug not allowing the stroke itself to clicked on to become selected - not sure if @vectoradmin had gotten to that or not - it was a HUGE update and that bug was only recently mentioned). If the stroke width itself is all selected, that would cause confusion as to what is a stroke and what is a fill.
    If you click on the example you have, you should be able to check the properties in the color panel to see if that is a stroke or fill and modify it accordingly

• @Boldline What I meant with the second point was just that I don't think arbitrarily sized stroke widths should be avoided and that in this case automatic bounding box color adaption would be helpful.

• administrators

@Nils I'm not sure if this would work with a color specific to the selected object. The current color is from the Layer color (can be set in the panel). How is this done in other apps?

• @vectoradmin Yeah, it's static in most other apps aswell. This isn't a very important request, but having the bounding box color automatically always be at a good contrast to the object color would be of "some" value, I guess...