Some questions and thoughts about vectorstyler

• I am happy that for some reason the demo version got extended but it seems it still has a lot of issues
    On paper Vectorstyler should be the end all of vector programs but I stull got too many issues
    -Aliased lines ( windows ) , both cg and software rendering
    -Erratic behaviour of pentool

• administrators

@gentlecl The reported Pen tool issues will be fixed in the next build (the fix is already done).

About the aliased lines: can you send a screenshot with examples/
    The View -> Subpixel menu contains some options regarding anti-aliasing.

• @gentlecl, wouldn't be so quick to disqualify VS. Yes, some things don't run soo smoothly
    but vectoradmin is working very hard to get that under control.
    Would "Try a little bit harder" as Janis Joplin once said 🙂

• @gentlecl Vectorstyler relies on all of us continuing to test and send in information when we encounter bugs or think of better solutions than are currently offered. I remember you contributed ideas and brought up bugs last year and those things were fixed thanks in part to your assistance. Vectorstyler is much improved program today compared to last summer for example.
    keep posting the issues you see along with screen shots and videos (record.it is free and works well enough). The sooner you bring them up, the sooner they can be addressed and fixed within VS

• The lesson for the company NumericPath is "Someone else perhaps got the same impression and left VS before the trial was over never to return".

• @Ingolf I'm not sure I'm following what you are saying. What solution do you have in mind to avoid people leaving VS as you described?

Creating a brand new vector design program, especially from scratch as a one-man team is a daunting task. If anything, the lesson I see is that people overall are typically fickle and expect everything to be solved already. Their tolerance for working through bugs and shortcomings in a program is short.
    I see people trying it out and then leaving and coming back later to see if it improves.
    Those that return later are typically impressed with how far VS has come since they were last involved with it.
    The alternative to @vectoradmin iterating in public to fix bugs and improve the program is for him to wait several years and release it after going through everything himself. This would be a slow solution and VS would be less of a program because of all the input we've given.
    Perhaps I'm not the best judge of all this because when I saw the amazing potential in VS the flaws in the program did not concern me as much. The fact that @vectoradmin has been working non-stop to fix issues and improve the program helped as well. If he was as unresponsive and as slow as Affinity has been in updating and addressing concerns, I'd probably walk away and come back a few years later.

I guess I'm not sure I understand what you are expecting @vectoradmin to be doing that he's not already doing. He mentioned putting out a roadmap soon and that might help all of us see what the focus is on and anticipate how VS will be improved in another month, 6 months, year, etc.
    In the meantime there will always be a few people walking away for a multitude of reasons.

• @Boldline

Agree with you.
    And who know, they can always come back.

I've mentioned often enough that I sometimes have problems with VS.
    But for me there are enough things that work well enough that I like
    working with it.

And I don't see a vector graphics program with this potential and at this price
    anywhere else.

• @Subpath VS is going to be the best option out there, it's just a matter of time and perseverance. I agree with you that at times I have problems using VS to get a project completed or I run into a bug or other issue. I still rely at times on an old copy of Illustrator to overcome the issues in the meantime as I submit them for fixing. Those setbacks aside, I prefer to use VS over any other vector program out there.

Some people mention there are TONS of bugs - like it's an epidemic. I don't run into tons of bugs in my daily use - they appear as I try things, but @vectoradmin has been consistently fixing them. Other issues I know are already in the queue to be fixed and I just have to be patient on those.

Seeing the overall roadmap @vectoradmin will release soon will only bolster my excitement about envisioning where VS goes from here. I love that it's not a subscription, I love that it gives the user so much control and power and I love how innovative it is.

Not everyone is going to be able to see the big picture or be willing to travel down that road as VS matures. Where there may be some fall off today, there will be widespread embracing of the program in time as the things we can foresee now become reality

• @Boldline

I am very interested in non-destructive workflow, as my main interest is symmetry
    and pattern design. In this area (with Clone, Symbols) I see a lot of potential of VS.

My favorite program for node editing has always been CorelDraw. VS has already
    beaten out Corel for that. So i am more than willing, to give VS more time to grow

• @Boldline said in Some questions and thoughts about vectorstyler:

@Ingolf I'm not sure I'm following what you are saying. What solution do you have in mind to avoid people leaving VS as you described?

I don't have a solution. I am the customer. The solution in customer service starts with: listen carefully. And be thankful when someone leaves feedback because most don't. And then there is nothing for @vectoradmin to work with.

@vectoradmin does indeed listen. I did not direct my response at him. And I know him well enough to say he understands that.

The Affinity forum is full of defensive posts from a small base of users and it just doesn't help.

The default reply should be "We are sorry you are having problems. All feedback is welcome. It will be considered. Thank you for trying out the product."

And that is why I am not going to reply any further to this thread. I am more interested in what @gentlecl experienced of issues. He/she did exactly the right thing by sharing his/hers impression with us. I have reported more bugs and issues than I can remember for months and this is a paid product so of course some will not put the money up front if they do hit the wall more than once.

End of my contribution to this thread.

• @Ingolf said in Some questions and thoughts about vectorstyler:

I did not direct my response at him

Can you specify who then was it directed at?
    You said, "The lesson for the company NumericPath is " - which by default is the developer. Perhaps I misunderstood?

What is the question you say you don't have the solution to? Any time someone leaves a comment as to their feelings about VS, there is not a backlash against it. If anything we all encourage them to share more of what they feel and also try to share perspective.

I agree with your overall thought on customer feedback being vital. I think the developer has been doing a great job listening to feedback.

@Ingolf said in Some questions and thoughts about vectorstyler:

I have reported more bugs and issues than I can remember for months and this is a paid product so of course some will not put the money up front if they do hit the wall more than once.

We've all reported a ton of bugs and issues over the time we've been here and the developer has quickly fixed them all in record time. Many of the bugs are not detrimental to productive work. The Affinity forum has it's share of public defenders who defend the slow pace of updates and bug fixes and the lack of communication from the affinity team. I agree that does not help.
    this situation is very different from that. Not even the most ardent supporters of VS are claiming VS has "arrived" and is bug-free. Those who come in and try things out may not realize the developer here is not like other developers and the issues they run into can and will be fixed in record time - not months or years from now. It's important we share that information.
    There's also an unrealistic expectation that programs are perfect and bug free. VS runs very well right now - for the cost and the fact that the developer is very quick to fix bugs, what they are getting in the program is worth it. certainly we want everyone to stick around and give feedback and keep defeating the bugs and adding new features and revising current ones... if they are unwilling to do that, there's little we else we can do aside from encouraging them to come back later as it gets better

• Let's avoid fighting about what one or the other meant — all forum regulars love VectorStyler not just because it's so powerful for a decent price but also because the developer quickly fixes bugs and usability issues (mind you, not every issue is a bug and not every bug is a show-stopper) and even implements new features we suggest surprisingly fast.
    Not something you often see with other software houses.

@gentlecl Don't forget to let us know if the next update fixes the issues you reported.

• I am sure the bugs and issues will be ironed out and like I have said , vectorstyler is incredibly feature packed when compared to equally priced programs ( affinity designer ) .
    I might jump ship and leave inkscape , but atm inkscape feels so much smoother to work with .
    I was pleasantly surprised the official demo worked after the beta demo expired ,but had hoped the issues would be resolved that I struggled with during beta release .
    Perhaps I need to upgrade my pc ( around 10 years old )

• @vectoradmin said in Some questions and thoughts about vectorstyler:

@gentlecl The reported Pen tool issues will be fixed in the next build (the fix is already done).

About the aliased lines: can you send a screenshot with examples/
    The View -> Subpixel menu contains some options regarding anti-aliasing.
    Made in inkscape , imported in vectorstyler (svg file ) .
    It mostly occurs when zooming in-out

0_1649509716616_1.jpg