Snapping options

• Hi Everyone,

I try to align some points together while drawing but I have no snapping option that works the way I want. Let's say I have a random parallelogram that I want to turn into a rectangle, I will have to align 2 points (vertically or horizontally), then the others accordingly. The grid option is almost what I need but in that case I depend on its structure and spacing. Is there a way to align 2 points horizontally or vertically just with the shape editor tool ?

Of course I can select the 2 points then go to the transform panel and set a 0 value for W or H width, but despite the large offer of snapping options I haven't found how to make while drawing the shape with the pen or moving the nodes with the shape editor.

Any advice is welcome. 🙂

• @Devil-Dinosaur

if i understand you right, then you like to align some Nodes/Points.
    Dit you know that you could use the Alignment Panel for that.
    Normaly you use this Panel for Shapes, but it works also with Nodes/Points.
    Also with points on independent lines.

Should Note that the Selection Order matters and it could be helpful
    to set the '"Align to Key Object" in the Panel Menü.

0_1650861256970_align-1.png

You could also Snap to any Line Grid, Shape, so you could draw any helper Line
    then go to Panels > Editing > Snapping Options and set "Snap to Shapes" and
    " Snap to Points" and align your Points on that.

• Thanks for your answer.

I already have my snapping settings with "snap to shape" and "snap to points" on. But if I want to do a rectangle ABCD, I use shift to constraint but on the last node, D isn't automatically snapped to A height.

0_1650862260000_snap_01.jpg

All these could work as long as I follow the established grid. In some case I just need to quickly move a point/node under another with snapping.

The alignment panel is, to me, like selecting the 2 points I want to align and set them a 0 value either on Width or Height. It's a supplementary move.

I would like to have the same snapping effect as the grid... but without the constraint of the grid size and spacing.

• @Devil-Dinosaur

seems its beyond my knowledge
    maybe vectoradmin know a solution

• administrators

@Devil-Dinosaur In this case you need Snap to Objects and enable the "Snap to Original" option in the Snapping panel menu.

• OK, it works partially. I have to play with the tolerance settings and it's a little bit whimsy.
    Is it possible to have something like : if you move up/down with shift it will snap the (almost) same level point of the same object. Same for shift + right/left ?

• administrators

@Devil-Dinosaur said in Snapping options:

Is it possible to have something like : if you move up/down with shift it will snap the (almost) same level point of the same object. Same for shift + right/left ?

@Devil-Dinosaur Added this to the backlog.