Moving cusp nodes + pressing control key

• @vectoradmin said in Moving cusp nodes + pressing control key:

@Ingolf What tool is used to move the node?

The shape editor then with Control pressed (macOS). Did I ask this question before? Just got a strange deja vu feeling. 🙂

It would make sense to me if it is a bug - unless I am missing something it makes pointless changes to the shape. 🙂

• administrators

@Ingolf It is not a bug 🙂

• Just so everybody figures out where this 'Keep Line Segment Angle' setting can be found — it's in Preferences > Modifier Keys, if you click the 'Show All' checkbox.

• When would this feature come in handy?

• @Ingolf I guess it's a feature intended for technical drawing, but I can't say I find much actual use for it — maybe if you have triangles you want to rotate around one of the nodes: https://recordit.co/sD0UBRcdLE

What could make this more useful would be if moving one node with Ctrl would adjust all the other segments so the area of the shape stays the same.

I have no idea how difficult something like this would be to code, or how useful until dimensioning is implemented.

And here's a better idea anyway:

Since keyboard modifiers are in limited supply, I suggest moving a node with Ctrl would slide it along any of its adjacent segments (feature is on the Roadmap - Phase 3), and also along the imaginary path between them.

• @b77 said in Moving cusp nodes + pressing control key:

I would suggest moving a node with Ctrl would slide it along any of its adjacent segments (feature is on the Roadmap - Phase 3), and also along the imaginary path between them.

I am so looking forward to this feature. I always wished it would be added to AI and AD, but years go by without it. FontLab has this feature and it is glorious for node control. This would rank up there with VS's delete a node while still retaining the curve.
    Okay, my gushing is over...

• I think the existing tool option for moving multiple nodes around like that is potentially useful when editing a design. I also like the other ideas mentioned in this thread for using the control key.
    This current control key modifier would be more useful if it were easier to understand the rules. It seems like it only affects a certain number of nodes around it. I like the ability to move a certain number of nodes around in tandem like that... that's not a functionality to remove but maybe shift it's location? It reminds me a little of the functionality we were exploring late last year with the space bar being the modifier to move multiple nodes a certain way. That is a functionality I want to explore more (is it in the documentation?) but I could see this current function being tied to that, freeing up the command key for the functionality @b77 mentioned

• @Boldline The current behavior when Ctrl-moving a node is interesting but not that practical. That's why I hope Ctrl can be used in this case to do something more useful.

Btw, this reminds me of Steve Jobs' approach of starting with the customer's needs, not with the technology they had: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2O5qKZlI50 Five interesting and a bit funny minutes. 🙂

• @b77 said in Moving cusp nodes + pressing control key:

The current behavior when Ctrl-moving a node is interesting but not that practical.

I think overall we're on the same page.
    I think it's a bit presumptuous to label a tool as " interesting but not practical" without prefacing that the opinion is based on your personal workflow. It might be a terrific tool for certain users. Now that I'm aware of it, I can find occasional use for it.
    As I was saying, I think that can be a very useful tool if you are illustrating a design, though it may need more understandable functionality. It could probably be added to an existing tool since the effect is done after the path is completed, so it does not require the control key. I agree the control key could be assigned instead for a task completed with more frequency by the whole of the consumer base.

• @Boldline I said “not that practical”. 🙂

But you’re right, I might be missing some cool possibility. If you find some cool use for it, please record a short video, I’m interested. 👍