"Erase" like blend mode?

• @plrang Adding a thicker stroke doesn't change the result because 'Exclude' is a Boolean operation based on the shape of the text.
    You could try instead a thicker weight of that font if available.

• administrators

@plrang The Shape Effects panel can be used to add an "Offset Path" live effect that expands the path.

But none of these workarounds can really replace an Erase composition mode, so I will try to do that ASAP.

• @VectorStyler Works as it should. I can use it now, although when streamlined it would be a great feature.
    Thanks a lot for your help. 0_1656191639739_70665251-e006-4635-9c49-e3ccbb909e8d-image.png

• @b77 Thanks! Yet the key is to keep looking for a solution, computers must do anything we want ;).

• @b77 Affinity exports lousy SVG and too many objects are rasterized. Even gradients at times. And you cannot convert to curves what you made with blend modes or in any way expand your layers in Affinity to make them permanent vectors ready for output.

You do not have to export objects with blend modes. But you can use blend modes to create objects that are pure vector. Just not in Affinity.

That is why I ONLY use Affinity for bitmap output.

@plrang Affinity doesn't have clever vector developers.

• @Ingolf said in "Erase" like blend mode?:

You do not have to export objects with blend modes. But you can use blend modes to create objects that are pure vector. Just not in Affinity.

Maybe I was too quick and clever. 😕 Can you actually do that in Vectorstyler?

Here I have expand and intersected to identical objects into this:

0_1656243860197_e8716c74-fc80-4107-924a-7c88badf8f18-image.png

If I want the two layers displayed on the screen "finalized" to two layers where the bottom object's colors (green) become the colors that blend mode created (light blue), how do I do that?

If you want to create vector graphics where the colors are statistical and no longer the result of active blend modes in SVG or PDF.

• @Ingolf So basically you want a way to perform the (Boolean operation) of Divide AND keep the blend mode for the intersected parts to avoid the need for rasterizing the artwork on export, for those blending modes not supported by the SVG and PDF standards?

• @b77 Yes, for example when making a logo where the output must be final, permanent and not dependent on interpretations or algorithms in browsers or printers, but simply finished, done vector in exactly the colors there. Or other scenarios.

There's a lot of craft involved usually, but I'm curious if some sort of vector flattener is possible.

Just curious; I've been doing this sort of thing manually for years.

• @Ingolf 'Vector flattener' is a good term for this. It would be nice to have. 👍

It is easy to implement for two overlapping shapes, I'm sure. Not so sure when multiple overlapping shapes with different fill types and blend modes are involved… 🤔

• @b77 said in "Erase" like blend mode?:

It is easy to implement for two overlapping shapes, I'm sure. Not so sure if multiple overlapping shapes with different fill types and blend modes are involved… 🤔

Yes, I've been thinking the same thing. 😞