Cannot de-select a selected item when part of a selected group by clicking on it a second time

• when I am holding shift modifier while using the transform tool to add multiple items to my selection, it's currently not possible to remove an item from that selection by clicking on it a second time while the shift modifier is still depressed. here is a video of me showing the issue. If am clicking on items in the document with the shift modifier held down so I can include more shapes than one, and then accidentally click on one I don't want selected, there does not seem to be a way currently to remove that item from the multiples selected without canceling out the entire selection and starting again. In Illustrator, this is accomplished by clicking a second time on that unwanted item to de-select it. Can this feature be added to VS?

• @Boldline I reported this limitation recently, IIRC, and the workaround for now is to click-and-drag over the object you don't want, in order to exclude it from the selection.

• @b77 Thanks I will try that. Selections overall in VS are really problematic in my opinion. It's frustrating trying to get VS to select the thing I want it to when there are multiple items overlapping each other. it always seems to want to grab the wrong item and unless I zoom way in and take my time, it's usually the wrong result.
    I probably need to try to understand the three transform options still in the contextual menu and maybe assign a shortcut to each so I can click through and back - the issue is if I use the second option and forget to switch back to the standard transform tool, it warps and messes up any future selection I make

• @Boldline When there are too many overlapping shapes that selecting just a part of them is difficult, I switch to Outline Mode (Cmd-Y) and click the contours of the shapes. The highlight on hover feature that shows where to click to select this or that shape seems to help better when in Outline Mode.

• @b77 that's helpful advice thank you - I will try that out

• administrators

@Boldline said in Cannot de-select a selected item when part of a selected group by clicking on it a second time:

Can this feature be added to VS?

Yes, it is in the backlog.