Select objects with transform or node edit tool by choosing attribute/color first

• I was giving more thought to some of the difficulties getting the exact vector object selected, especially when stacked and obscured in part under other vectors. What about an option to choose the attribute (might be using the wrong word here) first? So if I only wanted either selection tool to select orange vector shapes, I set it to orange and then no matter where I click, only orange items could be selected, bypassing others.
    Perhaps with the transform or node edit tool, you could right click or use a keyboard modifier key to load the color from the artboard or palette and it would show in a tiny box right below the cursor as an extension of the cursor. Illustrator with its live paint option, has a small square for a color that you can use the arrow keys to rotate through the open palette of colors. This is for painting in negative space shapes in illustrator, but why couldn't it be used in a selection way in VS?

• administrators

@Boldline I added this to the backlog, for after 1.2.
    Technically, most of this is already available (in magic wand), but it would need a good UI/UX.

• @VectorStyler said in Select objects with transform or node edit tool by choosing attribute/color first:

Technically, most of this is already available (in magic wand), but it would need a good UI/UX.

Just clarifying, you're saying the technical stuff is there already because it's similar to the magic wand, so eventually it potentially could be added after 1.2.
    some of what is used in the magic wand could be repurposed to create a selection method where the color is chosen first and then objects get clicked on to select just that color?

Because the other way I read your comment (which I don't think you meant) was that we already have the magic wand, so we don't need this new option.

Another way this method could be useful is doing a drag selection box - only the color the selection tool is limited to would be selected.

• administrators

@Boldline said in Select objects with transform or node edit tool by choosing attribute/color first:

Just clarifying, you're saying the technical stuff is there already because it's similar to the magic wand, so eventually it potentially could be added after 1.2.
    some of what is used in the magic wand could be repurposed to create a selection method where the color is chosen first and then objects get clicked on to select just that color?

yes,

Because the other way I read your comment (which I don't think you meant) was that we already have the magic wand, so we don't need this new option.

No, we need this option.

Another way this method could be useful is doing a drag selection box - only the color the selection tool is limited to would be selected.

• @VectorStyler thanks for clarifying. Also thank you for hearing out our ideas and giving them all consideration and implementing them as they fit your overall vision - no matter how big or small, far fetched or realistic the suggestions and ideas are.
    I am sure I can speak for more than just myself here, it's awesome to be able to help improve VS with our ideas and testing. In a way we get to help mold it into a program we can use the way we best see fit and that's exciting