Improving Grid Options

• I was playing around with the grid options today and had a some thoughts for making it easier to use, at least in terms of my vantage point.

First, would love an option (if it's not already in there) to keep the grid contained only to the current open file and not be applied to all future artboards automatically. When I create a grid, I don't always want it to be carried over to every new document I make

second idea - I'm relatively new to using grids though I see tremendous potential in them with my work. I love the ability to add grid setups to the presets section in the grid editing panel - it would be nice if it came with some by default. Are there common use grids that people use or is everything always custom? If we as the collective forum body came up with some common use grids, could those be added as defaults with @VectorStyler having final say in which get added in?

Third - It would be nice if there was a way to refresh to settings without closing out the grid options. I saw there was a preview checkbox, but it did not seem to refresh the screen after edits were made (without hitting confirm)
    Right now I have to add a new grid to the mix to get it to refresh and then delete the new grid once I see the update. Perhaps a "refresh settings" button near the ok and cancel?

0_1657916187867_e3077650-15b1-4ca1-b108-b8dc98b90192-BLD 2022-07-15 at 16.04.39.png

• administrators

@Boldline said in Improving Grid Options:

First, would love an option (if it's not already in there) to keep the grid contained only to the current open file and not be applied to all future artboards automatically. When I create a grid, I don't always want it to be carried over to every new document I make

Could make this a new document option. Sometimes a default grid is needed.

second idea - Are there common use grids that people use or is everything always custom?

Yes, this could easily be added. But this extends to other presets. There are a set of features in the roadmap (phase 7: collaborative editing) that would enable easy preset sharing.

Third - It would be nice if there was a way to refresh to settings without closing out the grid options. I saw there was a preview checkbox, but it did not seem to refresh the screen after edits were made (without hitting confirm)

I will try to replicate this, checking preview should work. And I will move it to the new location.

• @VectorStyler said in Improving Grid Options:

I will try to replicate this, checking preview should work. And I will move it to the new location.

Checking again today, the preview works fine - maybe I was not noticing the changes last time and it seemed like it was not working to me.
    I know you mentioned already you would move the preview/refresh to a new location, but expanding a little on the topic in terms of user experience in case it helps;
    The way the setup is now, the preview is a checkbox, which by default makes me think of it not as an active button meant for clicking to refresh, but as a setting you either leave on or off - where the refresh would occur automatically when the checkmark is active.
    Maybe you want to leave the preview where it is but using that on/off function and then add the refresh at the bottom with the ok or cancel?

@VectorStyler said in Improving Grid Options:

Could make this a new document option. Sometimes a default grid is needed.

I totally agree - there are times I like a default grid as well - but I also like the option to have it carry over or not. We're getting spoiled with all the levels of customization!

Phase 7 sounds so far away lol - but that will really be great when it arrives - being able to easily create and share presets will help a lot of people expedite processes and get down to work faster on their projects.