Option to eliminate gaps between shapes

• Is there an option where a group of shapes, for example stacked in a vertical stack (one above the next) could be selected and all negative space between them eliminated?
    I struggle at times with the snapping tool because I think I have it touching the next shape perfectly, but when I let go, there's often a hairline gap... it's hard for me to know when the snapping is exact...

• @Boldline These two buttons in the Alignment panel should do it:

0_1657996385343_Screenshot 2022-07-16 at 21.31.33.png

• @b77 yes! thanks for showing me that. Love all the help on the forum!

• @b77
    And a thank-you from me too - I've been looking for a tool like that !
    Neil

• @Igull I'm just trying to figure out how@b77 learned all about this program so thoroughly and quickly. Especially all the little details - @b77 tell us how you do it!

• @Boldline Oh… I didn't read the documentation… 😂 Although it would definitely help with the "thorough" part.

But just knowing that many times the developer surprised us here on the forum by saying that this or that feature somebody requested is already available, I start from that idea in my mind and just try buttons or panel options and see what happens. And if I don't find it I search the documentation.

Can't say it's the best approach but… time is limited.

Besides that, consider that I'm using VS almost exclusively for vector graphics (still have AI CS5 on a separate partition but Adobe is dead to me, I don't use AD or CDR…) so there's less overlap (or confusion?) in my mind with the UI of some other app.

• @b77 I try to consistently read the documentation a little at a time and then test things out, but more commonly I play around with things first. How long I do that depends on my timeframe for getting the attached job done. Then I just ask on the forum lol. The good thing about asking is there are usually others looking for that same answer. Also, any time someone else asks a question that gets answered, I always try out the solution to help me learn it as well.
    I own all the affinity products, but I had them all before I ever heard of VS. I primarily use Photo as my photoshop replacement and rarely use the other two now. I use Designer on the ipad because there's not another great vector option for platform.
    Adobe CC was never an option for me and my copy of CS6 suite will hopefully soon be rendered obsolete for my use. Right now I can do 85% of what I need to do for my design work in VS and need Illustrator for the final 15% that VS is either still needing to add or improve upon. With the aggressive plan for getting VS to version 2.0 in the next year or two, I'm pretty confident that 15% will dwindle quickly.

• […] read the documentation a little at a time and then test things out,

Note to self: I should do that. 🙂

• @b77 Your system seems to be working for you better than mine does so keep sticking to that!
    I try to go dig in a little to a topic that interests me and play around with that until I get stuck. Today it was snapping settings