Can nodes be set to smooth by default instead of symmeteric?

• Now that I understand the options available for editing nodes, I like that there's the symmetric option as well as the cusp and convert corner to smooth. It seems the default for most nodes is symmetric. Is there a way to have the default be "convert corner to smooth" - I find most the time I don't want both sides of a node being edited symmetrically - usually I want to be able to alter the handle on one side and not affect the other side. Is there a fast way to make that the default action and then go in and click on the symmetry option when I prefer it?

• administrators

@Boldline The default corner is symmetric when the path is created with the Pen tool.

To change all nodes to smooth:

• select the shape with the node tool.
    • press Command+A to select all nodes on the shape.
    • press the smooth corner icon in the context panel (or the path panel).

The problem is that this will also convert cusp corners to smooth.

I think it would be good to have an option for the Pen tool to create smooth (instead of symmetric) corners.

• Yes - I had done as you said to see if it worked (selecting all nodes and clicking on the smooth option) and that worked, but you're right - it would also alter any cusp nodes and also any future nodes added would revert back to the default symmetric.
    I am in full support of an option either in preferences or within the brush options to allow it to be switched for all future nodes added (until switched again)

• administrators

@Boldline The Pen tool creates smooth nodes by default in the new build 206. It can be set to create Symmetric nodes in the context panel.

• Thank you! great addition. Would it make sense to have it be a quick drop-down sub-menu in that very spot at the top so one could pick from the three instantly like that? With the current option always displayed? I guess that would only be necessary if we needed an option to only use cusp nodes. I'm not saying I know best on this, just sharing the question

• on second thought, adding the cusp option may not be needed really, since you can just click and not hold down the cursor to create a curve and instead a straight click gives you cusp points automatically.
    In reviewing the change list for Beta 206, it says "Fixed: exclude created a smooth node at a cusp node." is this essentially the same thing I just described? That a click creates a cusp node and a click and drag gives you either the symmetric or smooth based on the toggle at the top?

• @Boldline "Fixed: Exclude created a smooth node at a cusp node" is a different fix to a bug I reported, involving the Exclude boolean operation.