Things that still keep me from using VS for all vector drawing

• I really support what you have developed with VS, it has so many great features. However I still struggle with basic path operations like using the pen tool and the snapping.

Some of these things might have to do with my old Mac setup, but I find using the pen tool in VS quite frustrating. It still has the interruptions which I have reported before, which is very annoying. I will get a new laptop soon and I hope these issues will not bug me then. But besides that I struggle to use the pen tool with snapping: I just can not get it to work as it does in Affinity Designer, where it will snap very well to points and lines of existing shapes. I use this all the time to build up an illustration. In VS, the pen tool does not properly indicate when I hover over existing points if it will snap to them, and most of the time they will be slightly off. I have tried a lot of the snapping options, but I can not seem to get it to work for me, which is why I keep doing the drawing in AD.

Path operations are in general rather sluggish with quite a few redraw issues (disappearing and reappearing objects at zoom), which does not make it a lot of fun to use.

Snapping in general is very hard to understand for me, it has many options, but the indicators are very confusing most of the time, and the snapping is either too agressive or too weak. It does not help that there are no presets for certain operations, so I can only do trial and error. Perhaps a good explantion of how snapping is supposed to work in VS would help. I would prefer if it work similarly to AD.

I hope I am not too negative. As I said, a part of my problems might be hardware related. VS has a lot of potential, but if these core functions do not work well, the program as a whole is just not as good as it could be. If you have any questions, please do get in touch.

• administrators

@postdes Thanks for the feedback, these issues need to be addressed.

The oldest Mac setup I'm testing with is a 2010 iMac 27" with no metal support and I could not replicate these issues.
    I'll keep looking for the cause of these problems.

If there is any more info, especially on the snapping issues, that could help, let me know.

EDIT: forgot to ask. what is the VS build number you are using?

• I am using the latest version RC1

• administrators

@postdes Thanks. Some improvements for point snapping (indicators) will be in the next build.
    I will keep testing more on older Macs.
    BTW: I also got a touch Wacom tablet, but so far found no issues.

• Yeah, it is really strange, I hope you find what causes it, thanks @vectoradmin !