Vector Flood Fill Tool in Affinity Designer Beta

• I just downloaded and began testing the new beta release from Affinity for Designer and I'm impressed with the ease of use with the new vector flood tool.
    Here is the thread on the Affinity forum where they describe how the new tool operates
    Leaving room for my own admitted ignorance of the depth of plans and options @VectorStyler has with the amazing tools in VS, my current understanding of the equivalent in VS is that it seems clunky and requires multiple steps to accomplish. The VS seems more complicated than even the equivalent version in Illustrator CS6. To be fair, the Adobe version offers a live update if you were to adjust the strokes or shapes that define the negative space fill, it would adjust in real time until you expanded the new fill shape. (Ideally VS would allow for the live update as a preference option in the tool panel popup and default to not requiring it for every flood fill operation)

I love the simplistic and efficient way the Affinity Designer beta allows for a selected collection of overlapping paths or shapes to be able to handle a flood fill in that negative space instantly - without having to go into the menu and designate it as such first or expand it after.

If there are complex function options with the current VS flood fill tool, I'm not trying to get rid of those. I am saying the new affinity flood fill tool is a fast and easy way to create fills - and there's power in that.

• administrators

@Boldline Is this basically shape builder?

• Yes - just tested out the shape builder in VS again and its very similar- my apologies, it's been a while since I last used it because I seem to remember it being more challenging at that earlier time than now. Maybe it's just me. It's also possible I'm thinking of another VS tool that did require more steps.

• administrators

@Boldline

just tested out the shape builder in VS again and its very similar

BTW: this is almost the Bucket Fill tool of Inkscape (which is almost vector, but not really).

• administrators

@Boldline A new thing that this new AD Fill tool has: it can be fill aware, joins neighboring regions with the same fill