Adding object attributes annoyance

• This is something that's been bugging me for a while, I've just plucked up courage to mention it 🙂
    I'm fairly sure it is self-inflicted, but we'll see 🙂

I create an object - any object - a rectangle say. It ends up with whatever default colour fill/line colour and thickness.
    I select the object and go down (the panel is along the bottom of my document as a preference) to change the object fill style - most times I choose empty - no fill. However, the colour panel is sticky, the only way to get rid of it is to click in the background of the document to get rid of it (esc doesn't discard it) - now my target object is deselected - arghh !!!!!. The same thing happens if I want to change the line colour. This to me is extremely annoying and time-consuming 🙂 I can imagine that this is a requirement for graphicky folks, but not me 🙂 I probably need to set up a bunch of styles that I use regularly 🙂

OK, what is the solution in this case ?

TIA

Neil

• @Igull I agree, pressing Esc should close the Fill and Stroke popovers of the context panel
    instead of deselecting the object.

In any case, you could just switch to another tool and continue drawing or editing, which
    should close the popover.

You might want to enable 'Outlined New Objects' in Preferences/Settings > Changing,
    so that new objects draw with a black stroke and no fill by default.

I would add object styles from the Presets panel (Panels > Presets > Presets > [+] button).

• @Igull I agree as well, that the escape key would be a great option for the popover colors from the contextual menu. Anywhere the escape key can be used to exit out of a open menu, I would support.
    For the time being you could also use select>select again to re-select what was last selected

• @b77 said in Adding object attributes annoyance:

I would add object styles from the Presets panel (Panels > Presets > Presets > [+] button).

Can you elaborate a little more on this? What kind of object styles are you thinking of in this case?

• @Boldline I guess iGull would benefit from having a couple basic object styles saved
    as presets for technical drawing. Like this:

alt text

• administrators

@Igull said in Adding object attributes annoyance:

esc doesn't discard it

I will try to find a way to solve this.

Clicking on an empty are of the context bar should also discard it.

• @VectorStyler said in Adding object attributes annoyance:

Clicking on an empty are of the context bar should also discard it.

That's something I didn't try and certainly works just fine - thanks!

@b77 @Boldline Yes, ESC is really the universal solution for these things - I'm glad I wasn't the only one here that noticed this LOL 🙂

I actually DO have specific items set for fill/stroke, but they are on my document templates I use and NOT as basic object styles (which TBH, would be a better solution 🙂 )
    Old habits die hard as I always used this solution in AI and never had an issue with it - probably because my requirements are very limited and the app never changed them.

Thanks to all for the solutions to this - I really should take some sage advice more often LOL.

Neil

• administrators

@Igull Also: clicking on the button that opened a popover should close the popover.

The problem with using the Esc key is that after selecting the color (first click), the key input assigned back to the document and Esc is used as a shortcut or to close the isolation mode.