Confusing: New document layers show no object(s) even when there are

• It seems that when you start out with a new document, as you create new objects they are not showing up in the Layers Panel. Of course this depends on the state your previous document (I think) ... or something like that. I think this is SUPER CONFUSING. As a new user to this program I constantly have to rush to the manual for such simple things because I do not understand why there are no objects showing in the Layers Panel when there are clearly objects on the canvas.

I read about this a few days ago somewhere in the manual, but I got still confused when it just happened to me when I created a new document.

I sort of figured out that you have to bring up the "Canvas & Artboard" Panel and click on the little icon next to the current canvas which says "Open a layers panel with the canvas content".

In this case you get a "Canvas 1" layers palette. But in other cases you get a "Layers" layer palette. Which one you get and when? And why does a layer/canvas layer palette remains open along with its contents for a blank new document when the new document clearly don't have any objects? On top of this, you can have situations where a "Canvas 1" layers panel is showing along with a "Layers" layer panel. One of them is for a previous document and the other is for the current document. Wow! This gets very confusing.

To add to the confusion, you can even end up with two sets of "Layers" panels (see towards end of the video) one showing the contents of another document and the other is empty.

Could this somehow be streamlined a little better?

Here's a short screencast showing what I'm talking about...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqniPQ2Tz_o

• @pentool That is really confusing for sure. I'm on a mac with build 94 and not having this issue. Are you on a windows computer? Are you using the newest VS build?

• @pentool

looks like a bug to me, works on PC
    here a video

• @Boldline

It looks like @pentool is on Mac, if you look at the UI from VS
    in his video. Because of round edges.

• administrators

@pentool This could be a bug, for some reason that Layers panel is not updating.

One thing to try, close all Layers panels (I see you opened for a canvas also), and open the default one from Panels -> Layers.

What could also happen here is that it is possible to open a layers panel that is "glued" to a specific canvas or document.
    This layers panel will not update its content when working in an other document.
    <Make sure that you use the Layers panel opened with Panels -> Layers

• Sorry, yes forgot to mention that I'm on a Mac and also on the latest version of VS (1.1.094). But if you peek in the top-left corner of the video, that little Apple icon in the menubar should give you a hint 🙂

macOS 12.6.7
    VS 1.1.094

• @VectorStyler
    Yes, this seems to be a bug. Try this:

1. Open VS. Make sure no documents are open.
    2. Close the Layers panel (and any Canvas panels) if it's open.
    3. Create a new document.
    4. Draw a shape.
    5. Open the Layers Panel. The Layers Panel correctly shows the shape(s) on the artboard.
    6. Leave the Layers Panel open and create a new document.
    7. Draw a shape. Now the Layers panel doesn't show anything.
    8. Switch back to the first document. The Layers Panel correctly shows the shape(s) on the artboard.
    9. Switch to the second document. Now the Layers Panel is correctly showing the shape(s).

So it seems you were right. The Layers Panel doesn't update when you have a document open and you create a new document and start creating shapes. You have to switch to the first (or previous) document then switch back to have the Layers Panel updated.

Video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ti5Zkf2tz-0

macOS 12.6.7
    VS 1.1.094

• @Subpath Actually you did it wrong. Do not close the first document. Keep that open and just create a 2nd document.

• @pentool said in Confusing: New document layers show no object(s) even when there are:

@Subpath Actually you did it wrong. Do not close the first document. Keep that open and just create a 2nd document.

No problem on PC, it also works in the case you described here

• administrators

@pentool said in Confusing: New document layers show no object(s) even when there are:

Draw a shape. Now the Layers panel doesn't show anything.

Cannot replicate it here (point 7 works here).

I used the default config, with docked layers panel.
    I think it could be a local config issue.
    Start VS by holding Shift+Option+Command this will all workspace and settings to defaults.
    Or remove the ~/Library/Application Support/VectorStyler1.0 folder, while VS is not running.

• @VectorStyler Thank you, this seemed to help.
    It's actually "~/Library/Application Support/NumericStyle/VectorStyler1.0" but this did the trick!

• @pentool

In case you don't know, you can write your
    operating system into your Signature.
    Account > Profile, Signature is down below

Would take the operating system only.
    Because Vectorstylers Version number is changing too fast 🙂

• @Subpath Thanks, done so.