Patterns

• I realize this post is a bit of a jumble, partially question, observations (bugs?) an features - all related to pattern design. Open for discussion.

Release notes for VS 1.0.018 RC1 mentioned an improvement: 'Add color toning option for tiling patterns, and style override for pattern content'. Whilst I do understand the option Solid and Hue, I do not grasp how the other settings Tint, Saturation and Intensity work in combination with the color selection. Some more insights would be appreciated.

I noticed the documentation has not been updated accordingly, and I have been tinkering with pattern creation a bit in the last week.

Observations during pattern creation:

• No default name set when choosing 'create pattern style'. After configuring a new style and clicking OK the window simply closes without the pattern being saved. Once a pattern has been made, on creating a new pattern style this window opens with the LAST created pattern name. Presetting a new name, and/or focus on the name field would help here.
    • I do not understand the purpose of the 'Content' dropdown. It only ever contains 'Shape' - the documentation indicates there should be a pool of options, some insight on this would be helpful.
    • Setting of a 'Background' colour has no effect. This was also the case in the previous build, which I forgot to report as AFTER pattern creation I could just tweak the background color in the pattern panel (functionality in the pattern panel now has changed).
    • Setting of the 'Outline' colour/width no longer works. This was fine in the previous release and I used it to determine repeats.

alt text

As can be seen from the pattern creation, my shape has no background color. When I apply the pattern, it comes in ignoring the background color/outline in the configuration completely.
    alt text

Ultimately I would like to export a design as a square/rectangle encompassing a seamless tile. The outline was very helpful finding the repeat (but perhaps there are other options?).

It would be nice to have more symmetries available here too (Inkscape supports all 17).

• administrators

@syllie About the color toning in pattern: this is similar to what the various vector brush types use. The colors in the pattern content are converted to gray and they are used to adjust the specific component (Hue, Saturation, Intensity or Tint) of the base color (selected in the pattern panel). For example when Saturation is selected, the pattern content will have the same base color with different saturation levels.

Documentation will be updated later 🙂

About the pattern creation:

• I added the naming issues to the backlog, these will be fixed.
    • The content allows the selection of an other content reference. This will contain objects with the Tiling Pattern Content role (see references in the symbols and styles chapter). The default label should be Default not shape.
    • the background and outline options will be fixed.

For now the outline can be selected in the panel, by changing the panel state with the up-down arrow before the panel title label. This rotates over several panel modes, the second mode contains the outline and background setting.

• @vectoradmin said in Patterns:

For now the outline can be selected in the panel, by changing the panel state with the up-down arrow before the panel title label. This rotates over several panel modes, the second mode contains the outline and background setting.

Ah! I know about the states, just didnt think to check it here! Thanks. All the other feedback makes sense too!