Convert path/curve to text frame?

• Hi, everyone. I just discovered VectorStyler through the Affinity forums. It's impressively powerful! I would like to fill complex paths with text. Is it possible to convert an existing path object to a text frame? It seems like it should be possible, but I can only find documentation about creating the text frame from scratch (https://www.vectorstyler.com/documentation/text/#creating-a-text-frame). And I'm not familiar with VS's tools yet to know where to look and what to try.

• administrators

@brian Welcome to VectorStyler!
    yes there are several ways to do this.

• there is a shape already, select the shape, select the text frame tool (box with lines and T inside). move over the outline of the shape (the cursor should change) and click, then start typing.
    • if there is a text frame already. Select the shape to be used for frame, copy with Edit -> Attributes -> Copy Shape. Select the text frame and paste (command+v).

and there are other options with shape presets, styles or references.

Edit: and of course, the Node tool can edit the text frame shape as a path.

• @vectoradmin It would be easier for beginners if the regular Text tool would work the same as the Text Frame tool if you clicked inside a selected closed shape with it — transform it into a text frame. Would this interfere with something else?

• administrators

@b77 A bit interferes with the text on path editing mode. Both tools expect to click on the outline.

• @vectoradmin Oh, I know that, but if you click inside the shape and not on the contour maybe it would work?

In any case, this can be improved by displaying a dashed line around the inside of the shape (as a sort of text frame preview) so you know that if you click there it will become a text frame.

• administrators

@b77 I will look more into how to merge these two tools.