Assigning a fill colour to a text frame

• I've just noticed that I can't assign a colour to a text frame directly:

0_1707056497177_tf1.jpg

I first have to assign a colour to the frame border

0_1707056514646_tf2.jpg

and then swap the colours:

0_1707056528408_tf3.jpg

• @Pat You can add a fill from the Appearance panel (click the first button
    at the bottom), then drag the fill content under the text content.
    (Btw, in the case of text, a fill should be added under the text directly).

• @b77 Thank you for the information ☺ In fact, assigning a colour via the colour panel does not directly add a fill to the text block.
    But assigning a colour to the stroke and swapping the colours (in the colour panel) does give the text block a fill... which can be seen in the appearance panel.

• @Pat Yes, I got that.
    Color picked in the color panel being assigned to the text itself and not
    to the text background was requested recently here on the forum (because
    most of the time it's the text color you want to change), so it was implemented
    by the developer two or three versions ago.
    https://www.vectorstyler.com/forum/topic/3744/font-color-in-text-frame

• @b77 Ok thanks to point this thread ☺ but as it stands nothing happens when the block of text is selected and a colour is chosen in the colour panel (or palette or variation), no fill colour nor text colour.

In any case, if I wanted a specific colour for the text, or part of the text, I would define it in the paragraph style.

• What should happen and is happening here if I pick a color in the Color panel
    is the color of the text itself (the letters) of the text frame is changed and not
    the background of the text frame.

If it's not working as described above, please post a screen recording and a test file.

In any case, if I wanted a specific colour for the text, or part of the text, I would define it in the paragraph style.

That's how it might be done in a page layout app, but it's too slow for a
    vector graphics app where many users rarely use paragraph styles.

• @b77 It works when no paragraph style is applied.

Logically, when a style is applied, it is impossible to change the text colour simply by selecting the block of text. The synchronisation of styles is then fine...

• administrators

@Pat @b77 I opened a bug on the text frame color issue. Swapping the color should work on the text not the frame.

• @VectorStyler I found it quite useful ☺

I think there are other bugs with colour management and text blocks.
    As soon as a style is applied to a piece of text, it's no longer possible to assign a colour to it other than by selecting the text using the text tool, but the colour of the text doesn't always match the information in the appearance panel. You have to either click on the eye icon (when it works) or click on the colour icon to get the right colour:

0_1707118064936_tc.jpg .

• @VectorStyler I wanted to test different text opacities using the appearance panel, but I can't see any change in the opacity of the words when I change the slider:

0_1711782731346_t1.jpg

0_1711782749123_t2.jpg

0_1711782759562_t3.jpg

• administrators

@Pat said in Assigning a fill colour to a text frame:

can't see any change in the opacity of the words when I change the slide

I added this to the backlog, could be a bug. Did you try the opacity change from the Transparency or Color panels?

• @VectorStyler I forgot to mention that it is fine with the Transparency/Color panels (same values). It is only the Appearance panel that is not showing any effect.