Setting default styles for created paths and shapes?

• If I'm drawing a bunch of objects, I find that it's inconsistent weather I am able to set the stroke/fill that will be used for newly created objects while I have the tool active but nothing selected.

Ideally what I'd like to do is create an object style and then always use that style when creating new strokes or objects. I can switch styles in the style panel, but it seems to only let me switch styles when something is selected and switching styles then also changes the style of that selected object.

Am I missing something very simple here? I know I can go back and change the styles on the objects after they are created, but it becomes difficult when I'm trying to draw a new shape over top of an existing shape and they're both using the same style.

• administrators

@LoginError The default style is the style of the last selected object, or if no object was selected then the style set in the color panel (or other styling panels).

This can be changed with the "Update Default Styles" option in the Selection section of the Settings view. If disabled, selecting objects will not update the default style.

• Thank you, I will try that.

• With that option unchecked, I'm unable to update the default style in any way. Selecting or double clicking a style in the style panel while nothing is selected does not update the default style.

Is there any way to update the default style when that option is unchecked?

• administrators

@LoginError said in Setting default styles for created paths and shapes?:

Is there any way to update the default style when that option is unchecked?

Just select a color on the color panel, or a gradient in the gradient panel (without an object being selected).

A style selected in the Styles panel is not going to be used as a default regardless of settings.