Export to .PSD

• administrators

@Kemelvor said in Export to .PSD:

waiting for that feature to be added, hopefully !

What is the specific part that is needed from a PSD export?
    A lot of vectors will be flattened anyway. Could you please help us understand how you use it?

Thanks!

• Sure.
    It's not really important for me that vector layers will keep all information, because I guess it to be challenging to do. I expect the layers to be rasterized/flattened... as long as I can keep them separated with respect of what is grouped together. That's the main priority for me.

Basic vector information kept for simple shapes (for example, unicolor with uniform outline, or without one) is a bonus, but not a necessity.

To give a concrete example, I create an emoji on a vector software, because I can easily edit the nodes to quickly change a shape :
    alt text
    alt text

But I also wish to animate it like a puppet in After Effects, so I export the file in .psd format. Most layer will be flattened anyway even with the current software I use. The vector information is lost... but I still keep the individual layers listed above that I can rotate and transform in AE, even if there's no more nodes or paths, even if the clipped parts inside (shading, details, etc) are flattened too.

If I create groups, the folder is still here, with every layers inside. For clipped/masked parts inside a vector layer, it may be a bit more complicated since it will be rasterized so I don't really expect it.

Thank you for reading me !

• administrators

@Kemelvor Got it, thanks! I will prioritize a PSD export feature.

• @VectorStyler I'll be waiting for it with great impatience. I'm going to keep trying the free version to get myself used to its features. Then I'll buy it the instant the .psd export is added.
    Thank you very much for the listened feedback, I really appreciate it.

• administrators

@Kemelvor I cannot promise earlier than the 1.3 release, and we just had the 1.2 released 2 weeks ago.

• @VectorStyler I am patient. I will just keep VectorStyler in sight in the meantime. Perhaps even buy it for non-animation work because I really like the listed features.

• administrators

@Kemelvor BTW: about animation: there are no animation features yet in VectorStyler (and none planned), but you may want to try out the Blended Shape and Blended Symbol features (new in 1.2). These are not blends, but single shapes (or symbols) created from two other shapes (or symbols).

Also, may be useful for animation, the Number Variables feature introduced in 1.2. Any numeric attribute (of a shape, style or effect) can be defined as a number variable, or as an expression of number variables.

• administrators

@Kemelvor PSD has some basic vector support (shapes).
    Is there a need to export vectors as vectors to PSD?

• I didn't really expect animation feature in VectorStyler in the first place, AE (and later on Blender) do that work for me. I don't mind using multiple software for my work, which is why I'm wishing for .psd export since most accept it !

I keep Blended Shape/Symbols in mind. I am using something similar in my current software, so I'm glad it's here too !
    I'm curious about Number Variables, I will tinker with it, it seem promising.

VectorStyler seem really complete and so far I haven't met any hindrance for what I'm wanting to do. It's even a straight upgrade over the current software I'm using on some points. Special thumb up for the shape/distortion tools, I didn't expect something so good and versatile. And the excellent documentation that allow me to get quickly used to it.

• @VectorStyler Yes, if the option is offered to keep some basic vector support, it's even better. I'm quoting myself but : [Basic vector information kept for simple shapes (for example, unicolor with uniform outline, or without one) is a bonus, but not a necessity.]

This is what I had in mind.

• administrators

@Kemelvor Export to PSD file format was added in build 1.2.020. It should work with exporting as much vectors as PSD supports.

• @Kemelvor

(edit: i think i misread parts of your posting, as you are
    using after effects. But maybe my post here is somehow
    useful, so I'll leave it like that, but edited somewhat.)

Do you know the vector graphics Program "Cavalry"
    Sometime called the Mograph app of vector graphics.
    Cavalry are able to do Animation in the direction of
    after effects. Its not pure vector graphics some effects
    will be bitmap effects.

Cavalry have a free Version, only Account is needet
    the free Version allows also Animation
    Here the Link:
    https://cavalry.scenegroup.co/

• This could also be a great solution for exporting vector shapes out to a raster program to be converted into selections and then used to contain or exclude painting within. Quick googling shows that both Affinity Photo2 and Procreate can open PSD files that include vectors. I will have to experiment more with this