What does isolation mode of single element do?

• Could you explain me how to use isolation mode? When I double-click on an object it goes into isolation mode. I do not understand why it exists, as it cannot be edited. I recently saw a topic where you reported that it works when an object is in a group. Could you please tell me the purpose of such a solution. Shouldn't be locked for single elements or execute different action ,ex. turn on Shape Editor?

• @encart When you double-click a single vector object (not a group) you can draw inside it, add text, import an image or paste something else inside it.

To edit the shape, select it and switch to the Shape (node) editor (shortcut: A).

• It's like the mask workflow in FreeHand, instead of using clipping masks a shape can be masked by copying it and using "Paste Inside" in a parent object. Then once you double click the parent object and enter isolation mode you are able to edit the contents you just pasted in.

You can also repeat the process on the children objects and paste things inside of those to create masks inside of masks.

It confused me too at first because i wasn't expecting it and the relevant UI was pointing me towards something like Illustrator but It's much faster and intuitive method than clipping masks, trust me on this.