Can Shape Editor Tool more easily move individual pieces within grouped set?

• Could the Shape editor tool more easily move individual pieces within a grouped set? In my example, I have green objects grouped together. Unless I'm mistaken, I need to click on the shape editor tool (or keyboard equivalent on all of these), then click on the shape inside the group, then click on the transform tool to be able to move it. Obviously the shape transform tool always gives you the options to adjust the nodes of that individual shape inside a group, which is great - but could we eliminate a step by making the shape editor tool able to move an individual shape inside a group if you clicked on the inside of the shape? Illustrator has this feature for example and it allows for more efficient workflow

• @Boldline If you click-and-drag on the inside of a shape, yes, that would be nice. 👍

But I'm not sure what should happen if the shape has no fill. Currently the Transform tool doesn't select no-fill objects if you click on the inside of the shape.

• @b77 said in Can Shape Editor Tool more easily move individual pieces within grouped set?:

If you click-and-drag on the inside of a shape, yes, that would be nice.

Yes agree with you on that -

In terms of a stroke and no fill shape - it wouldn't do anything unless you clicked directly on the stroke itself (not on a node)
    So if you wanted to move a shape with or without an attached stroke, click on the inside and move it. If it's just a stroke no fill, then you would click directly on the stroke to move it

• @Boldline Yes, but if you click-and-drag the contour stroke of the object, the Shape Editor tool bends that segment. That's why I asked — I would not change that.

• @b77 I agree about the click and drag curve feature - I use that a lot and would not change it - but maybe a keyboard modifier to select the individual stroke inside a group to move? Or the ability to drag a selection around it and then do so?
    Regardless, I could still see adding the initial option of a fill being moved individually within a group and adding the same function by allowing a selection to be made of the object with the tool and doing the same thing

• administrators

@Boldline There are a couple of ways to move things inside groups:

• if the shape editor is used, once a shape is selected (and its nodes are visible), hitting Command+A will select all the nodes of that object. This then can be moved with the shape editor tool (no need for transform tool) by dragging its nodes.
    • the transform tool has a deep select mode (the second icon in the context panel), which also selects objects inside groups and moves, scales, rotates, skews them.

• @Boldline if you are in Shape Editing mode (shortcut: A), you can click on any object inside a group to select it, then hold the Cmd key to move or transform it. When you release the Cmd key, you're back to the Shape Editor instantly.

• @b77 @vectoradmin thank you both - I'll experiment further. Really enjoying VS - so many ways to use it