Snapping to shape intersections, tangent points, distance between objects.

• Don't know if I'm doing something wrong but it would be great to be able to snap to the intersection point between two lines, or the tangent point of a line and circle.

An example use case would be, creating a circle and a line, then using the collision tool to make the line tangent to the circle, then setting the anchor point to the tangent point so we can rotate the line how we want without losing the tangent point.

Also, it would be nice to have snapping to exact gaps and sizes between other objects on the canvas, while showing the distances between them. edit: Oh I see that the formation snapping does that, the next point below, should help in visualizing the distances better, everything being a Red Color doesn't quite help differentiate which distances are equal to which, while also showing the Distance Numbers.

Also including color in the snapping guidelines would help differentiate between X and Y snapping guides or Collision ones, or Gap Size, etc.

In general, it would be great if the snapping UI/UX would be similar to Affinity Designer, it's something that even Illustrator can't achieve 🙂

• administrators

These can be added, but some might come later as they are new features:

• snap to intersection point between lines: I add this as a bug for snap to shape. It is actual not difficult to have this.

• snapping to gaps: this is in the long term feature list already, but may bring it forward as it is important.

• snapping indicator colors can be customized in Preferences -> Interface section -> Interaction Indicators field.
      The list is a bit long, but most snapping types are there (I think the shape snapping is missing, will add that too).

• the tangent point case is not clear for me: maybe a visual example would help.

• @vectoradmin
    Thankyou for the tips and the changes!

The tangent point is mostly to have some kind of easy way to have for example two circles of different size and to be able to snap a line that is tangent to both of them externally and internally like in the photo.

0_1590935622217_6B6B3D17-871C-40D1-A14F-E4C8E3B9AA4F.png

• administrators

This is a good idea. Will add this to the feature list (long term goals).