How do you use a software ?

• Following this interesting topic, I was thinking about the necessity or not to have the (almost) total knowledge of a software. I always had a project approach and software were tools that I tried to partly master in order to achieve my projects. It means that I may have been using like 10% of a software in some cases (e.g. Flash) but I didn't mind.

But it was sometimes confusing for people (clients or employers). I have been doing 3D with Cinema 4D during 10 years. I did decent works in archviz, product design, but I never did animation because it wasn't my field. And sometimes people were confused with my resume if I mentioned C4D but I told I didn't do animation. Of course when you know the field of 3D animation, all the various jobs it involves, it makes sense not to master every step. But sometimes people who are not from the design field tend to think that a software/computer is easy to handle and can do anything (of course with a single click). In the end, it was easier to communicate with a project approach : can/can't do this (and sometimes can try, that's also how I improved).

A lot of software, like VectorStyler, are very dense with a lot of great features and it may sometimes be intimidating or even discouraging at the beginning. I myself use very few of what VS has to offer because, for now, I want to do my illustrations in my "style". Of course, I experiment things from time to time, but I'm not in a hurry and I don't feel bad about missing a lot of things. That's why I think that the project, the art, the style, should be prior to the clean render provided by a software. Or we may be "controlled" by what the software has to offer, for instance some easy effects.

What is your opinion ? Is it too old fashion ? 😅

• @Devil-Dinosaur

I also take the project-based approach you describe
    and use the software that gives me the tools to try
    out my ideas.

That you may not use all the features of a program is
    probably in the nature of things. It also happens to me
    that I don't use every feature.

Either because I don't understand them despite many attempts
    or I don't want to invest the time. Or that functions are simply
    too unwieldy in use. Then I just look for programs where that
    works better.

To come to the topic you mention. I love it when a design is
    editable and changeable at any time. Because that allows quick
    testing and changing of ideas. I usually use Clones for this in VS,
    because it seems to me this is one of the fastest way.

So I have some sympathy for the idea of assigning roles on Shapes.
    And I appreciate the deep thinking behind this concept.
    So big Applause to @VectorStyler !

I know from experiments, that Objects with the Role Shape Behavior works
    similar to clones, but they offer some possibilities which Clones
    do not have.

Since I don't work professionally anymore but i am still interest
    in graphical things and the possibilities the computer offers for it.
    I use all this to develop my own ideas and to have fun with it.