Calculate basic Math Operations and Convert Units in all numeric entry fields

• Calculate basic Math Operations: Add (+), Subtract (-), Multiply (*), and Divide (/) in all dialog boxes and panels, etc. that use numeric entry fields.

I’ve found this to be very useful feature in Illustrator, especially with Transformations.

Convert Units in any numeric field.

For example, if the Default is set to Points, and you want to enter a value in Inches, enter the desired numeric value, followed by the word Inches (or abbreviated as “in”), such as 1/8in or .75in, then press either the enter/return key or the tab key, and it will result in converting the value you entered in Inches to Points (in these two examples, 9 pt, and 54 pt).

By the way, you can also mix units while doing the math calculations as well.

• administrators

@Vector-Rock This is actually in the roadmap (not public), will try to push it into version one.

• Nice to know that. It will be a fantastic addition.

For those who were aware that AI had this capability, it was frequently used.

• @vectoradmin

I was just wondering if you can provide any kind of update on when this feature might be added to VectorStyler.

It is one feature that I miss quite a bit because it gets used so often. Of course, it is pretty standard in Vector programs now (Adobe Illustrator, CorelDRAW, Affinity Designer).

I'm hoping when it does come out, it will be able to do *multiple math operators in a value field. For example, (120/3) - 8, or (45 *125%) +12. Macromedia FreeHand could do that back in the day.

Also hoping you can make a Duplicate by Holding Down Alt/Opt key before pressing the Enter key on the keyboard.

• administrators

@Vector-Rock It is among the first to be added once the release for Windows is out.

A quick short term plan for what is being worked on:

• improve how intersections/unions/merge are handled for lots of overlapping shapes (current task).
    • fix some known merge/divide bugs (related to the above).
    • improve stroke offset cleanup (partially), this is one of the major open issues.
    • fix clipboard handling on Windows (some reported bugs here).
    • there are some other minor bugs.

I believe that with one more Windows beta in a week or two, the release for Windows can proceed (2-4 weeks from now, depending on other issues).

After that (mid September) some of these new features are next.

• @vectoradmin,

Great to know. Thanks for the update details.

• @vectoradmin said in Calculate basic Math Operations and Convert Units in all numeric entry fields:

improve how intersections/unions/merge are handled for lots of overlapping shapes (current task).
    fix some known merge/divide bugs (related to the above).

I'm really excited about this! Thank you @vectoradmin for that as well as giving us a mini-roadmap of what is coming up. I'm using VS as often as possible for my projects now. All the things you listed are great, but these two make the most immediate difference for me in my work

@Vector-Rock - great suggestion about the multi-mix of unit types! That will be awesome when implemented.

• administrators

@Vector-Rock This feature is available now in 1.1.002 (beta)