Pen tool auto-set to fill with no stroke

• I noticed in the last few betas, the pen tool by default is set to fill with no stroke. Is this a requested change? usually when I am going for the pen tool, I'm thinking strokes not fills. If I'm in the minority, I'll accept it lol, but is there a setting I can modify so it's not set that way each time I open VS?

• @Boldline I guess the 'Outlined New Objects' option in Preferences > Changing Options is disabled? This is what happens here also, and enabling it will draw paths without fill as you would expect.

• @b77 that solved it - thank you.

• @Boldline Yeah, but I think the default setting (‘Outlined New Objects’ disabled) should apply only when drawing closed shapes with the closed shape tools (Rectangle, Ellipse and the rest).

• administrators

@Boldline Yes it was a requested feature. Will make a separate option out of this. If the default fill is set to null, then the pen tool will be with no fill.

• @vectoradmin said in Pen tool auto-set to fill with no stroke:

@Boldline Yes it was a requested feature. Will make a separate option out of this. If the default fill is set to null, then the pen tool will be with no fill.

I'm on the same page as @Boldline. Black stroke and No fill.

I think the ideal situation would be to allow the User to set the default(s) to:

• Any Fill Color and Type
    • Any Stroke Color and Settings available in the Stroke Panel (alignment/position, corner, cap, etc.).
    • The fill and stroke setting changes would be applied to the "current document", and, if desired
    • The settings could be Saved for "All New Documents" (with a possible restart of the program for changes to take effect)

In CorelDRAW you can do all these things. It's a short, simple process that can be done in a new document with nothing selected.

Of course, for the additional flexibility/customization, you could set it up where users could set independent defaults for each of the object types.

• I requested a change over it but it was to respect the selected colour and fill rather than drawing every new pen shape with stroke and no fill, isn't this how all other software works? It's a global property after-all.

There's still one small bug in my case which i haven't been able to consistently reproduce yet, if you open a new document, set a colour fill and draw a shape then the colour of that first shape will sometimes default to grey.

• @Kyriakos

@Kyriakos said in Pen tool auto-set to fill with no stroke:

respect the selected colour and fill rather than drawing every new pen shape with stroke and no fill

I agree with you on this - I would prefer each document open with black stroke no fill for the pen tool default, but as soon as you change the stroke and fill settings, they get used on every future pen tool use or rectangle or circle shape, etc... going forward until it is changed again by the user