Snap Guidelines to Exact Ruler Visual Subdivisions using Shift Key & Drag from Ruler. Add Option to Snap Guidelines to Center of Artboard.

• @vectoradmin,

I’d like to see VectorStyler add a two new Options for when you “create Guidelines from the Ruler”.

1. Snap Guidelines to Exact Ruler Visual Subdivisions when holding down the Shift Key while click and dragging out Guidelines from the Rulers. This feature is available and works this way in Adobe Illustrator.

2. Bonus Options:
      Hold down Ctrl while click and dragging out Guidelines from the Rulers and when the mouse is released, the Guideline Snaps to the CENTER of the Artboard Page.

• Note: If Clicking and Dragging from Upper Left Hand Side of the Rulers Intersection, the pair of Horizontal and Vertical Guidelines will snap to Center simultaneously.

Suggested Ruler Tool Tips:

1. Hover Cursor over the Horizontal or Vertical Ruler and get the Tool Tip:
      “Right Click to Change Ruler Unit Type. Left Click and Drag out Guidelines; Ctrl Drag to Snap to Artboard Center”.

2. Hover Cursor over the Upper Left Hand Side of the Rulers Intersection Icon (Icon forthcoming in backlog) for the Tool Tip:
      “Left Click and Drag to Pull out a Vertical and Horizontal Guidelines Pair”.

• administrators

@Vector-Rock Added these to the backlog

• @vectoradmin,
    EDIT:

Updated post "title" to show adding the Option to Snap Guidelines to the Center of Artboard.

• administrators

@Vector-Rock Forgot to mention, but snapping to artboards (margins, and center) can be enabled with the View -> Guides -> Snap to Artboards. This will also work when moving or creating guidelines.

• @vectoradmin said in Snap Guidelines to Exact Ruler Visual Subdivisions using Shift Key & Drag from Ruler. Add Option to Snap Guidelines to Center of Artboard.:

@Vector-Rock Forgot to mention, but snapping to artboards (margins, and center) can be enabled with the View -> Guides -> Snap to Artboards. This will also work when moving or creating guidelines.

@vectoradmin,

Thanks for that information.

Nice. I knew that Snap to Artboards would snap guidelines to the Artboard Top, Bottom, Left, and Right EDGES.

I did not know it would snap to the Center of the Artboard. I just tried it!

The snapping works good for single Horizontal or Vertical dragging.☺

I doesn't seem to be quite as effective when dragging from the Ruler Intersection to bring out the simultaneous "pair" of Guides.

Whichever Guide orientation (Horizontal or Vertical) happens to snap first seems to have the stronger "magnetic" pull, the other (second) guide has a weaker snap pull to it and sometimes doesn't want to snap.

• @vectoradmin,

Updated and edited Ruler Tool Tips:
    Added Change Ruler Origin Point.

Suggested Ruler Tool Tips:

1. Hover Cursor over the Horizontal or Vertical Ruler and get the Tool Tip:
      “Right Click to Change Ruler Unit Type. Left Click and Drag to pull out Guidelines..

2. Hover Cursor over the Upper Left Hand Side of the Rulers Intersection Icon (Icon forthcoming, on backlog) for the Tool Tip:
      “Left Click and Drag to pull out a Vertical and Horizontal Guidelines Pair”. To change Ruler Origin Point, first hold down the Option Key, then click and drag”

• @vectoradmin,

The snapping works good for single Horizontal or Vertical dragging.☺

I doesn't seem to be quite as effective when dragging from the Ruler Intersection to bring out the simultaneous "pair" of Guides.

Whichever Guide orientation (Horizontal or Vertical) happens to snap first seems to have the stronger "magnetic" pull, the other (second) guide has a weaker snap pull to it and sometimes doesn't want to snap.

@vectoradmin,

You crushed this one. Thanks for adding the Snap to Ruler Subdivisions.

I must say, those "Hover Over" the "Rulers" and the "Ruler Intersection" Tool Tips do Rock!: 😏 😉

Question:
    Did you make some adjustments/changes to Snapping to make the "Magnetic Pull" Stronger ?

Snapping seems so much better than before.

This includes the issue I mention in this post about dragging the "Pair" of Guidelines from the "Ruler Intersection" not working that great, especially trying to get the second one to snap.

• administrators

@Vector-Rock Snapping guideline pairs to the artboard center is still open. There has been some improvements to snapping precision in general (not just guidelines).

There is a bit more general issue here of snapping when multiple guidelines are selected and moved at once (Shift+Click to select multiple guidelines). The same issues occur in that case also. This is open for now.

• @vectoradmin said in Snap Guidelines to Exact Ruler Visual Subdivisions using Shift Key & Drag from Ruler. Add Option to Snap Guidelines to Center of Artboard.:

@Vector-Rock Snapping guideline pairs to the artboard center is still open. There has been some improvements to snapping precision in general (not just guidelines).

There is a bit more general issue here of snapping when multiple guidelines are selected and moved at once (Shift+Click to select multiple guidelines). The same issues occur in that case also. This is open for now.

@vectoradmin,

I am very fussy about precision of any operation ( I lean way more towards the CAD mentality, not so much the freeform and artsy stuff), so continued improvement here is paramount to me.

Whether it's Offset Path, Boolean operations, Cutting, Snapping to Guidelines/Objects, Join precision, node placement precision, transformation accuacy...etc. I'm a perfectionist for that. I hope that is a continued priority of VectorStyler.

I really appreciate the update on the open issues, thanks!

• administrators

@Vector-Rock Snapping multiple guidelines (selected or dragged from corner) should work in build 1.0.045