Select color with eyedropper from within isolation mode

• When I go into isolation mode with a shape, and switch over to the eyedropper tool, I'd like the ability to sample colors from objects not within the selection in isolation already.
    So if I have a couple of different color objects on my screen and I go into isolation mode with one - I'd like to be able to hit "I" on the keyboard and sample the color from the other shape that is not in isolation.

• administrators

@Boldline Would the eyedropper exit isolation mode (and render all with normal tone), or stay in isolation mode (with grayed out objects) but allow picking from outside?

• @vectoradmin My thought had been the latter, that you stay in isolation mode with the grayed out objects, with what you are editing- the color of would change instantly.

I understand what you might be thinking. Switching to the eyedropper would be helpful to see the sampled colors accurately. Would that cause confusion as to whether you were still in isolation mode?
    I know in Illustrator, when you sample color from within isolation mode, it does not show the true colors of what is being sampled outside the isolation mode (they are grayed out) - but the color of the object inside isolation mode does change and show itself correctly (not grayed out)
    As the user, I just have to remember what the color is that I am sampling and not rely on the literal current view - since it's grayed out.
    If that makes sense!
    I'm open to doing it in any way that works best

• No idea how difficult to implement it is, so please don't shoot me, but there's a third option — the app could "lift" the grey overlay only if you move the eyedropper outside the container shape.

• administrators

@b77 lifting the greyed areas is an interesting idea. Technically is not an issue (mark + redraw) but there is a redraw cost involved. Obviously no need to redraw while the mouse remains inside or outside the isolation.

• @vectoradmin @b77 I was thinking about an idea similar - but it seems like overkill a little, because you still have access to the color palette. So you "can" change the color without missing out on a full opacity non grayed out sample. Usually if I'm sampling a color from another object while in isolation mode, it's because the other object is nearby and I know the color it is even if I don't see an accurate representation on screen due to the isolation grayed out effect.

• @vectoradmin You're right, it involves redrawing everything each time you move the eyedropper outside then inside the shape. If the artwork is complex it's too much for little gain.

…Unless it won't switch back to the overlay when you move the eyedropper inside the shape?

OK, nevermind.

• @b77 @vectoradmin I'm not a developer... but is it possible in isolation mode, for the eyedropper to have a small swatch circle next to it, or a swatch visible in the color panel that is actively showing the color under the eyedropper cursor? This may have been in part what @b77 was suggesting but I got a little lost in the wording - and your answer, @vectoradmin, may be the same - again I wasn't sure in the wording if I understood correctly.

• @Boldline I'm sure it's possible, and it would be great.

• @Boldline said in Select color with eyedropper from within isolation mode:

@b77 @vectoradmin I'm not a developer... but is it possible in isolation mode, for the eyedropper to have a small swatch circle next to it, or a swatch visible in the color panel that is actively showing the color under the eyedropper cursor? This may have been in part what @b77 was suggesting but I got a little lost in the wording - and your answer, @vectoradmin, may be the same - again I wasn't sure in the wording if I understood correctly.

@Boldline, @vectoradmin,

That sounds like a good solution. When hovering the Eyedropper Tool over the area to be sampled, have a Colored Swatch Box Icon appear next to (to the right of) Eyedropper Cursor showing the actual true color (not grayed out). Simultaneously, the swatch in the Color Swatches Panel could be shown as being highlighted as well.

• administrators

@Boldline @Vector-Rock @b77 The eyedropper tool now draws the whole document with real colors even in isolation mode.