Rendering quality

• I noticed a small but quite noticable difference in rendering quality between VS and other programs.

Both shape and font edges are affected. Switching between programs makes the difference quite obvious though.

Could the rendering sharpness be improved or a preference setting? The subpixel options in the view menu doesn't make any difference in the view quality.

• administrators

@Ingolf If you have some screenshots of the same thing in VS and the other program to compare, it might help.
    Some programs on Windows may use ClearType rendering for fonts, that does look smoother.
    VS does not use ClearType, only sub-pixel anti-aliasing.

• @vectoradmin said in Rendering quality (Windows):

@Ingolf If you have some screenshots of the same thing in VS and the other program to compare, it might help.
    Some programs on Windows may use ClearType rendering for fonts, that does look smoother.
    VS does not use ClearType, only sub-pixel anti-aliasing.

Rendering difference on macOS 12 M1, same difference I observed in Windows 10:

Rendering examples zipped

Doesn't affect me much, but returning from Affinity where I add pixel effects I find edges in VS blurred.

• administrators

@Ingolf Thanks for the files!
    There are two screenshots in the zip file. I assume one was taken with Affinity and the other with VS (their name).
    Were these both taken on Windows 10?

Is the screen used some sort of retina or HDPI screen? It looks like VS is scaling up the image.

• @vectoradmin said in Rendering quality (Windows):

@Ingolf Thanks for the files!
    There are two screenshots in the zip file. I assume one was taken with Affinity and the other with VS (their name).
    Were these both taken on Windows 10?

Is the screen used some sort of retina or HDPI screen? It looks like VS is scaling up the image.

Yep, names indicate source.

macOS M1, regular screen from before retina and fancy stuff, 1920 x 1200 resolution, all macOS standard settings (didn't change anything)

Same difference on Windows, same screen: Affinity sharper

• It is a general difference between VS and other programs and vice versa. Affinity renders the file a bit sharper than VS, while Google Chrome renders it horribly sharp. Chrome probably does that to make the content sharp on tablets and smartphones, so never mind what Chrome and browsers do. 🙂

• @vectoradmin

This is actually a rather big issue that causes eye strain. I opened the SVG from vectorstyler in Amadine trial as well (not a great program) to check and Amadine too renders the SVG as sharp as Affinity.

Going back to VS from that sharp rendering is like taking reading glasses off.

• @Ingolf Can you see the difference in screenshots? Maybe uploading the two images side by side?

• Unaltered PNG

When you look at an entire screen rendered that much sharper - especially with smaller details and lines at other zoom levels - it looks so much better and you mind instantly knows it is in focus.

• @VectorStyler Looks crisp on macOS and Windows 11 now. 📐