Draw inside option missing

• @vectoradmin said in Draw inside option missing:

@Ingolf Draw Inside is not handled by double clicking on an object to isolate.

Do we need a different mode for this?

Maybe Draw inside is something else than I expected, but I expected something like Insert inside in Affinity:

Video of feature

Enabled just for one insertion of an object, then disabled.

• administrators

@Ingolf said in Draw inside option missing:

I will check what can be done here.
    But the isolation mode is way better, as it allows tool switching, selection and other editing also.

• @vectoradmin said in Draw inside option missing:

@Ingolf said in Draw inside option missing:

I will check what can be done here.
    But the isolation mode is way better, as it allows tool switching, selection and other editing also.

Ah I see two worlds colliding here - the thorough (but slow) Illustrator way of doing things and the new more fast paced workflow method used by tablet apps and Affinity where you can use features in an instant like in the video.

As I see isolation mode it is designed for a series of actions and some focused work - whereas the "Insert inside" in Affinity is for the other scenarios where you simply need to insert something inside a shape one single time and then move on to other parts of the image.

I don't miss it terribly - but I do understand how it was selected as one of only three icons in Affinity:

• Behind
    • Above
    • Inside

That actually sums up what I need - personally 🙂

0_1639821046138_Skærmbillede 2021-12-18 kl. 10.50.33.png

• @vectoradmin

Well, another collission. Isolate selected brings me away from the bitmap image I am hand tracing if it not already visible. So you can see I quick end in a world of additional clicks.

Regarding this scenario: in one of the coming weeks I will suggest some hand tracing features (inspired by own needs, lack of features for these scenarios in Illustrator and Affinity, and inspired by some actual features in Krita). One of the things I will suggest is a layer can be set as a 'reference layer' than can be displayed/hidden with a simple shortcut, transparency can easily be adjusted as well and otherwise it is a dead click-through layer.

I can use outline mode for now as a simple workaround - but the hand tracing scenario deserves a few improvments.

"I'll be back" 💂

• administrators

@Ingolf I have been thinking about how to make the hand tracing process more fluid.
    It seems to be one of the time consuming phases in vector design.
    And of course, I need input in this one. So any ideas are welcome.

• Surprisingly other programs has little to offer other than basic tools and often nothing.

The right thing to do is probably to build a MVP (minimum viable product) and improve it from there over several iterations based on input from other users.

• @Ingolf Btw, if you are hand-tracing a lot, have you tried the Path Sketch tool for this?

0_1639836571642_pst.png

• @b77 said in Draw inside option missing:

@Ingolf Btw, if you are hand-tracing a lot, have you tried the Path Sketch tool for this?

0_1639836571642_pst.png

A bit - it is quite good.

• @b77 said in Draw inside option missing:

@Ingolf Btw, if you are hand-tracing a lot, have you tried the Path Sketch tool for this?

Initially I tested VS by hand-tracing a sketch from someone else - just to get an impression of how the core of VS works.

My own hand tracing is actually drawing on top of photos of architechture - doors, window, a storefront whatever. I do not hand trace pen or brush drawings myself.

My next test project of VS will be to do what I currently do a lot in Affinity: hand-tracing a photo of a part of a building. That involves A LOT of straight lines, blur, shadow effects, light effects and gradients. Insane amounts actually. And that is why I react so strongly against Illustrator like workflows - because I make hundreds and perhaps thousands of objects - fast.

After that some more traditional vector drawing program projects. Good times ahead. VS is the most exciting new program in a loooong time.

• administrators

@Ingolf This issue should be fixed in the new build 1.1.002 (beta)