Using Save-As on an existing document automatically pulls up existing file location

• In Illustrator, if I opened an existing file with the "File> open file" command or especially if I opened an existing file from the "File>open recent" option, and made edits and wanted to do a "save-as", it would automatically pull up the save location of the original file I edited. This was handy for two reasons; first, because it was a fast way to keep like files together. second, because if I opened a file from the "file>open recent" and later wanted to find where it existed, just hitting "save-as" made it easy to see it's location. Could this be added in VS?

• administrators

@Boldline I will look into this, added it to the backlog.

• @Boldline Actually programs not working like you describe frustrates users a lot. I see it all the time.

Whatever program I work in I work from and to one folder (with subfolders for output and source graphics), and whenever I am prompted to save, export to, import from etc. etc. another folder like 'Documents' I lose my temper.

• @vectoradmin Regarding this, where the open files is located on disk, recently I looked for that information in a open file.

The document setup is heavily populated with tabs and probably not the right place for that info, perhaps this info could be stored in something like a document info box with title, author, keywords whatever for the document and path to the document with file size info etc.?

• And a button for "Show in Finder" next to document path would be great as well.

• @Ingolf said in Using Save-As on an existing document automatically pulls up existing file location:

And a button for "Show in Finder" next to document path would be great as well.

I like the idea of adding a button for "Show in Finder" for whatever document is currently active - I'm not sure what you meant by "next to document path" @Ingolf. It's not you it's me 🙂

Until I understand what location he was referring to, my vote is to put it in the file menu near the "validate document" section; it seems to fit there in my current opinion

Where it goes, this will be a handy addition as I mentioned, I open things from the recent folder often and also files get opened, used and left there open for a while - it can be nice to check it's saved location to decide to save again or to save-as it elsewhere, etc.

• @Boldline

[ file path (string) ] [ Open in Finder (button) ]

• @Ingolf ok thanks that makes sense now. and sounds like you were thinking the same relative placement.
    I wouldn't want it buried deep in the menus

• I was thinking that the file path + Finder button and whatever relevant to the file (size, created date) could be included in a Document Info dialog like this one from Photoshop.

0_1640109913015_Skærmbillede 2021-12-21 kl. 19.04.11.png

• @Ingolf This topic of a document info box linked to each VS file has been brought up before (though I can't find it in a quick search I just did). I like your idea for it though in VS it may not need to be too elaborate - title, author, description, keywords....
    It would be nice if the keywords section in particular was something that the computer could search for.

I don't think I'd personally want the "find in finder" button in the document info box - it's something I'd want to access from the file menu itself
    I'm sure whatever @vectoradmin eventually does with both the document info idea and the "find in finder" will work well

• @Ingolf @vectoradmin Rehashing slightly what was said before to clarify my overall opinion - I like the way Illustrator assumes you want to paste a save-as in the same location as the original file. I was using that feature as an unorthodox way to see where a file was located if I had opened it from a list without that location displayed (such as from the recently opened") or if the file had been open amongst the tabs in my workflow for a while and I forgot!
    The idea of adding the "find in finder" (or maybe call it "locate saved file" so it's universal for windows and Mac users) is a great one because it's straightforward and there's no risk of accidentally saving a file where you didn't want to just to find it's location of origin.

• administrators

@Boldline Should be fixed in build 1.1.002 beta