Lock Shortcut

• I use the lock option for objects frequently as I design so the default keyboard shortcut seemed too complex for a task i use so often, so I made it option-L.
    I'm not saying we have to change the default in VS to that, but I wanted to bring it up as a discussion to see what others thought, if anyone has a better key command they use.

• Have the same problem 🙂 Till now i was testing CTRL +TAB for locking and only TAB for allow locked objects. After reading your post I wanted to swap places and now I can't use TAB anymore;) But that gave me an ideas:
    1.What if we asked to add locking as an additional action for a double click? Personally, I usually have fingers on Ctrl Alt Shift, so this solution would not force you to look at the keyboard.
    2. What do you think about adding a visual effect that will indicate that the object is locked? For example semi-transparent stripes as in the mockup below?0_1642727368624_screenshot_20220121_020550.png
    @vectoradmin I can copy and paste locked object when selecting is active. I'm not sure if it is intentional or a bug.

• administrators

@Boldline Option-L is not used for the Layers panel. If possible, I would prefer another shortcut. These Option+Letter ones are used for panels.

@encart I will add these to the backlog:

1. I think this could be added to the preferences. But I'm not sure about how this would work. Locked object cannot be selected by clicking, so how would unlocking work? Anyway, if it would be a preference, it is not in the way.

2. Here the main issue is rendering speed. I will figure out how to do this fast.

Copy/paste locked objects is allowed in VS. Copy/paste is kind of an export/import (and it is actual export/import in VS), and locking something means blocking changes, not blocking exporting.

• @vectoradmin

1. It is possible to select locked objects. It is called 'Allow locked objects' in shortcuts.
      https://recordit.co/x8o7ff629X

2. What about outline?

• administrators

@encart

1. For that case yes.
    2. Outline (even a solid filled shape with gray) would simplify it.

• @vectoradmin said in Lock Shortcut:

Option-L is not used for the Layers panel. If possible, I would prefer another shortcut. These Option+Letter ones are used for panels.

Nice! I like that you have a system of organization to that.

• @vectoradmin said in Lock Shortcut:

Option-L is not used for the Layers panel. If possible, I would prefer another shortcut. These Option+Letter ones are used for panels.

Do you have a breakdown of how you've arranged the keyboard shortcuts so far that could be posted in the forum? Where it lays out what modifiers you've designated for what level of tool or feature? That might help us all figure out where to best suggest new keyboard shortcuts and where to place our own.

• @Boldline Would a list of all commands with their shortcuts help?

• @b77 I think knowing what kind of structure @vectoradmin is planning for keyboard shortcuts would be helpful. For example, his wanting to use the Option-Letter combos for current and future panels. I did not realize this until he told me now, but that would help me know what to avoid.
    I know there's a text file i can open that gives me the rundown of all the keyboard shortcuts currently in use. That helps, but knowing what options could be used that are still unclaimed would also be of great help. What is your thought?

• @Boldline I was thinking of an alphabetized list with all the shortcuts. Is it OK if it's in Excel format?

I also made a cheat sheet with the default keyboard shortcuts for VectorStyler. It's not exactly ready, but it might help.

You can download both from https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ivlz13ue5cbg1i8/AADNGmkCKRtBncTrklZo2RnGa?dl=0

• @b77 Wow! both of these files are really helpful different ways. I can tell you put a LOT of work and care into assembling them both. Really impressive as well. I'm going to use them often to refer to as I learn more shortcuts. With the VS file, I love the breakdown so it's easy to understand each section . The spreadsheet is great for quickly looking up a command and doing a quick scan for if a keyboard shortcut is in use.

With the VS file - I'd suggest a symbol menu in a corner or at the bottom. We could even add some orange to the border maybe? and the VS logo? make it "official" looking and at some point when you're ready - save it out as a pdf and add it to the tutorials section. Just my suggestions. Great work! Thank you for sharing

• administrators

• @Boldline After I check the cheat sheet again, I'll include the VS icon somewhere in a corner, and post it on the forum. 👍

(Btw, I used the BBEdit app and its Find & Replace with Grep and the Sort command to reverse the location of each command name with its shortcut from the list generated by VS, then sort everything alphabetically. So I didn't make or alphabetize the list manually.

Same with the PDF — I used the CheatSheet app to extract the shortcuts grouped by menus, it's just that there I had to add a few of them manually, as CheatSheet doesn't extract all shortcuts of commands that don't apply to the current selection).