Break Shape Shortcut issue

• I noticed the "join two or more shapes" has the default shortcut of "J" but the opposite tool right next to it, "break shape" as no default keyboard shortcut. In illustrator, this function has a cursor tool that you use to click on the path to break it in that location - that shortcut was "c". So for my own use, I went in and made the shortcut for "break shape" , the. "c" key. It accepted my shortcut in VS in the keyboard shortcuts panel, but when i go to use it, selecting a node and then hitting "c", it does not seem to work for me or even register in the history panel. nothing else seems to be using that "C" key. Is there something I am missing?

• @Boldline The Collider tool (the one with a horseshoe magnet icon) has C as shortcut by default.

But even so, here I encounter no conflict whatsoever — when I'm in node editing mode (shortcut A) and I selected a node, C works for breaking the path at that node.

And when I'm in 'object mode', hitting C switches to the Collider tool.

Maybe you didn't add the shortcut correctly?

Here's what I did:

• I chose 'Keyboard shortcuts…' from under the VectorStyler menu;
    • selected 'Path Editing' from the Context menu;
    • expanded the Object menu, then the Shapes submenu in the column on the right;
    • there I selected 'Break Shape';
    • clicked the 'Add Shortcut' button;
    • selected the new entry (Break Shape) in the left column;
    • pressed C on the keyboard to add 'C' as a shortcut.

0_1642706946533_Break_shape.png

• @b77 I appreciate you breaking it down for me. I can see now that I stole the "C" option from the collider tool as it's no longer listed there:
    0_1642707883202_1b5556e2-9830-4cea-8174-b68ecb04e4b8-BLD 2022-01-20 at 14.43.57.png

It appears I added it to break shape correctly - but I will try and use it again with video
    0_1642707981521_3c8eb5c4-bf34-4cb2-8bae-513ec1fb4ff0-BLD 2022-01-20 at 14.45.36.png

I'm clicking on the node to highlight it and then pressing "C" as I have it custom set for the "break path", but nothing seems to be happening.
    I'll try doing a restart

• @Boldline 'C' for the Collider tool is gone probably because you didn't change the Context from 'Application Shortcuts' to 'Path Editing'.

1. Add 'C' back to the Collider tool with Context set to 'Application Shortcuts', then…
    2. Change Context to 'Path Editing' and add 'C' to 'Break Shape'.

• @b77 Thanks for showing me that discrepancy in my choosing where and what to add! I didn't catch it until the second time you asked about it! yikes.
    the amount of customization is crazy and I had not thought about it being in another category like that, but it makes total sense. Im not going to use "C" now that I know collider uses it so I'm thinking of another

• administrators

@Boldline @b77 I add this to the backlog, to check why "C" is not working for node insertion in the "global" shortcut context.