Selecting objects also with Right Mouse Button

• What do you think about the possibility of selecting multiple objects with the right key and releasing it would cause a context menu to appear? I think that if someone has personalized the context menu appropriately, it may provide convenient access to common operations.
    What is worth noting - currently pressing and holding the right button on the selected item allows you to trigger an action when the button is released.

• With a modifier. Or a preference as an opt-in.

Plain vanilla right mouse click should be reserved to the context menu without surprise - that is what people would expect it to activate.

• @encart If I understand your suggestion correctly, this would work for click-and-drag and not for Shift-click — you would click-and-drag with the right button to select one or multiple objects then on button release the app automatically displays the context menu?

• @encart OK, so I didn't misunderstand. 👍

Then, if the developer gets to implement this level of customization, I agree with @Ingolf that it should be a non-default option in Preferences, simply because it's a bit unusual for most so we don't know how useful it is until we try it, and also has this inconsistency (can I call it that?) where it would allow you to select with click-and-drag but not with Shift-click.

Oh, and btw, in CDR you can use the right button of the mouse to drag an object/objects inside another one.

• @b77 Exactly, that is what I meant.
    @Ingolf Not at all. Perhaps I described it wrong. This is a relatively small change that does not interfere with the context menu and only allows you to call to an additional methode.

https://recordit.co/Q7CNieMnmn

• administrators

@encart @b77 @Ingolf I will add this to the backlog, with an option.

• @encart said in Selecting objects also with Right Mouse Button:

@b77 Exactly, that is what I meant.
    @Ingolf Not at all. Perhaps I described it wrong. This is a relatively small change that does not interfere with the context menu and only allows you to call to an additional methode.

https://recordit.co/Q7CNieMnmn

Depends. If right clicking starts on a selection unexpectedly it will be annoying and confusing. Or if it cancels/deselects an existing selection by accident. Being non-standard behavior it will be unexpected - thus optional. 🙂

• administrators

@encart There is a new option: Preferences -> Document Editor -> Context Menu on Mouse Release that can be enabled to show the context menu when the mouse button is released.