Stroke, fill messes up

• administrators

@Ingolf The stroke expand issue can be easily replicated, looks like a bug.

There is no stroke profile in the drawing, maybe it was undone? or replaced?

About selecting gradient. I tried this, and what I think that can be confusing here that both the Path, and the Layer (containing the Path) have styles. The Layer contains the Path, and the styles (fill or stroke) are drawn using the same path. Whatever style is applied to the Layer will overlap the styles applied to the Path.
    The Appearance panel can be used to see what is going on in a selected object (Layer or Path).

• @vectoradmin said in Stroke, fill messes up:

There is not stroke profile in the drawing, maybe it was undone? or replaced?

I did a lot of things not paying too much attention to it (so I forgot the details).

I will try to replicate it tonight doing what I did yesterday with a bit more mental focus. πŸ™‚

About selecting gradient. I tried this, and what I think that can be confusing here that both the Path, and the Layer (containing the Path) have styles. The Layer contains the Path, and the styles (fill or stroke) are drawn using the same path. Whatever style is applied to the Layer will overlap the styles applied to the Path.

Indeed confusing. πŸ™‚

• administrators

@Ingolf I recommend selecting only the "Path" when applying styles.

Applying styles to Layers and Groups is a VS feature, it allows some interesting tricks, but this feature is not present in Affinity, so it can be confusing at first.

• @vectoradmin said in Stroke, fill messes up:

@Ingolf I recommend selecting only the "Path" when applying styles.

Applying styles to Layers and Groups is a VS feature, it allows some interesting tricks, but this feature is not present in Affinity, so it can be confusing at first.

I did not use styles. Just fill and stroke. Or do you mean styles regarding them as well?

• administrators

@Ingolf Sorry, I was referring to fill and stroke as styles πŸ™‚

• @vectoradmin I downloaded the file posted by @Ingolf here to see what was the issue, and…

I don't understand why a layer is listed as being grouped with its objects.

I mean, because a layer can be ungrouped from its objects (Object > Ungroup), when you ungroup a layer you are left with objects without a layer.

I don't see the point of that?

• administrators

@b77 I think in this example, a bug was revealed by using styles (fill or stroke) on Layers.
    It is not a typical use case, but it is a bug nevertheless.

• @vectoradmin Regardless of the fill and stroke styles bug, I was wondering why a layer can be ungrouped, and from what.

I select it in the Layers panel by clicking the round button then I can go in the Object menu and ungroup it: https://recordit.co/yeZV9UGrBh

So I'm wondering what is the usefulness of this.

• administrators

@b77 said in Stroke, fill messes up:

@vectoradmin Regardless of the fill and stroke styles bug, I was wondering why a layer can be ungrouped, and from what.
    So I'm wondering what is the usefulness of this.

It is basically expanding the content of a Layer into its parent layer (or to the canvas).

• administrators

@Ingolf This problem should be fixed in build 1.1.024, let me know if some problems still occur regarding this.