Gap Tool - best use case?

• 0_1647453031415_Gap Tool Icon.png
    Hello,
    I was exploring the Gap Tool to see how it could be used in production. I read about it on p.518 (section 91.6) of the PDF manual and tried out various things like, as it suggests in the documentation, to setting up image frames on the artboard.
    The behaviour of the tool seems scale the images on a single axis, which is really not practical for images that usually need to retain their proper aspect ratios.

So I was wondering if someone could enlighten me as how they use the tool within their workflows so I could understand its merits.
    Thanks!

• administrators

@Victor-Vector For images the Object -> Content -> Proportional option can be enabled to always have proportional image regardless of its shape.

The Gap tool is more useful in a DTP oriented workflow.

• @Victor-Vector For me at least this would be most useful when you need to "move" the existing gap between text frames so the frames end up the same width.

@vectoradmin Is there a keyboard modifier that "snaps" when the gap is in the middle, so you know the two objects are now the same width (or height)?

• administrators

@b77 said in Gap Tool - best use case?:

@vectoradmin Is there a keyboard modifier that "snaps" when the gap is in the middle, so you know the two objects are now the same width (or height)?

No such keyboard modifier, but I add it to the list for the future.

• @vectoradmin Ah, thanks for teaching me about that proportional option. It would have taken me a while to find that.
    @b77 I can see how it would be handy for text boxes. Seems like it really shines when the text boxes and images are already lined up in columns or rows and you wish to move the whole gap between a number of elements. Like @vectoradmin said, good for a desktop publishing workflow.

Cool! I appreciate your perspectives, thank you.