Visual feedback when using modifiers in shape sketch tool

• What I hope you could add to the app is some kind of visual feedback when I have activated a modifier when I use the shape sketch tool. When I press space I activate straight line mode, but I can not actually know if i accidentally activated or deactivated it as I can not see from the tool cursor or somewhere else. This is especially problematic as I use Space to pan and then continue to draw with the shape sketch and sometimes this triggers the straight line mode accidentally. Perhaps it would be more common to use Shift to toggle the straight line mode, as this is also often used in other apps and would not create the conflict with the panning.

Perhaps having an option in the context toolbar to switch to this mode would be useful too.

• administrators

Yes, probably Space is not a good key to swap line/freehand modes.
    Will think of another solution. The context bar is a good idea, but we need a key also. Maybe Tab?

• Why would the shift key not be possible? Is it used for another function?

• @postdes The Shift key switches to intersection mode, where the new stroke intersects the selected one but it doesn't subtract from it.

But I guess this is not set in stone, and feedback is welcome.

@vectoradmin & @postdes If the Shape Sketch tool would have a special cursor for each of its modes (freehand or line), it would be easy to notice when you change modes.

• @postdes Also… in people's minds Tab and Spacebar can be used as "toggle switches", while with Command, Option and Shift you're used to hold them pressed so the tool does something different.

I think that Tab would be great to let the user switch to drawing inside the closed shape without having to…
    • switch to the Select tool (shortcut: V);
    • double-click it to draw inside then…
    • select the Shape Sketch tool again.

But this is just an idea — they way 'I' think the Shape Sketch tool would let you draw with as few interruptions as possible.
    Other users might disagree and they might be right. 👍

• administrators

I think we need to move away from Space in the sketch tool and use Tab for switching to line mode.
    Panning with Space while sketching is indeed a common use case.

Drawing inside a closed shape, already done for the next build:

• just select the closed shape.
    • select the sketch tool.
    • paint a closed shape inside.
    • will cut it out from the selected shape.

But: it will not adjust shape direction or winding mode.
    By default the sketched shape fills are in even odd mode, so this should not be a problem.

• @vectoradmin I hope after the next beta you'll write a separate post about the Shape Sketch tool, explaining how it works and all its shortcuts — you need more people to know about this new tool and give feedback.

…And I need to get a paper-like screen protector for the iPad. The bare screen is too slippery. 🙂

• administrators

Will write one on the forum, just after the release 🙂

I should update the documentation also (long time waiting).

• administrators

There is better handling of different cursors now, for shape / line modes in the sketch tool.

• It does toggle to a different cursor when using the straight line mode. However it does not switch back to the regular cursor when pressing TAB again.

• administrators

I will keep this open.

• Really liking the sketch tool - I think that is a game-changer for sure. It's getting better all the time. Question: What is the action to tell it to add to an existing shape versus cut away from it?

• administrators

@Boldline There isn't one.

If the selected shape is closed. Paint one or more open shapes that are merged into one open shape. This open shape intersects at two location with the original closed shape. These two points are the merging locations.
    Whether it is adding or cutting from existing closed shapes, depends on where the new sketch is.

This works with any combination of open or closed shapes.

• Is the app really switching to a different cursor when hitting Tab? It doesn't happen here on Big Sur.

Anyway, I think when the Shape Sketch tool is in 'Line' mode, its cursor should be a crosshair.

• administrators

@b77 I will keep this issue open

• administrators

Cursor handling improved in build 198