Cloning issues ( mega-topic ) ( partially unfixed )

• Legend

Notice: There's a summary at the bottom.

( accumulated ) : The sub-topic has been accumulated from an existing topic and marked there aswell.
    ( despite { version } ) : The bug / feature is noted as fixed / implemented in the release notes of the version, but is still unfixed / unimplemented.
    CEDIT : EDIT for a sub ( child ) - topic
    PEDIT : EDIT for the mega ( parent ) - topic

CEDIT: Added CEDIT and PEDIT to legend.
    PEDIT: Improved title.

1. Cutting and pasting clone from reference canvas crashes VS ( despite 1.1.028 )

The same doesn't work on the artwork canvas as seen in the beginning.

alt text

PEDIT: Modified title, going to accumulate here.

PEDIT: Any idea how to put more space between the markdown checkbox and the label?

2. Selecting a member of a cloned group's master disables selection

alt text

CEDIT: Improved title phrasing.

3. Impossible to select member of cloned group

Double clicking isolates the member instead of the group.
    In the group isolation, bug 2. is present.

alt text

CEDIT: Modified description.

4. Exiting isolation mode of cloned group hides it ( despite 1.1.028 )

4.1 Variations ( completing cycle by deleting cloned group )

• hides after exiting { n } isolation
      • if ( first clone ) : n = first
      • else : n = second

alt text

CEDIT: Improved pseudo-code.

5. Cloned group with nested master and clone disappears upon refreshed isolation ( despite 1.1.028 )

5.1 GIF observations

• ensured nested master and group master are named uniquely
    • after isolating the cloned group via double-clicking
      • member selection is disabled as observable by the cursor click attemps
      • ctrl + r - refreshing causes the clone members to disappear irretrievably
        • multiple ctrl + r attempts don't reshow the members
      • after double-click-exiting the isolation, the cloned group is empty
        • can be seen in the layers panel

5.1.1 Thoughts

• cloning an object automatically assigns the original the role "Master"
    • clones rely upon their masters having this role
    • masters of clones can be selected and changed by choosing a master name in the respective menu
      • leads me to suspect these need to be unique
    • the cloned group's nested master obviously has the same name as the one in the group master
      • maybe this plays a role in the bug

alt text

5.2 Continuation 1 : Subsequently, the bug reappears only every second cycle ( despite 1.1.028 )

A cycle ends after deletion of the cloned group.

5.2.1 GIF observations

• situation starts where 5.1 ended
    • to restart the cycle counting one can open a new document
    • each 2nd cycle
      • selection works
      • ctrl + r - refreshing doesn't make members disappear

alt text

5.3 Continuation 2 : After disappearance, deleting the master group causes the clone members to reappear ( despite 1.1.028 )

5.3.1 GIF observations

• situation starts where 5.1 ended
    • to avoid confusion : deleted the reappeared clone at the end

alt text

PEDIT: Improved sub-headers by sub-numbering.
    CEDIT: Improved description phrasing.
    PEDIT: Moved markdown header sizes two levels up for better formatting of further sub-headings.
    CEDIT: Improved title accuracy.
    CEDIT: Improved title accuracy of 5.2.
    CEDIT: Added 5.3.
    CEDIT: Corrected wrong gif link for 5.3.
    CEDIT: Added 5.1.1.

6. Refreshing with a cloned group's master's member selected hides master and clone

6.1 Gif observations

• occurs with or without nested masters and clones
    • pressing ctrl + r while a member of the master is selected ( with group member selection mode activated ) hides the master and the clone

alt text

CEDIT: Added missing fixed-checkbox.

7. Nested link breakage

7.1 Cloning group with nested master and clone breaks nested links in both

7.1.1 Description

• the nested clone's master was seen in the application menu as
      • before group cloning : selected
      • after group cloning : unavailable, the sub-menu greyed out

7.1.2 Thoughts

• I Strongly suspect this has to do with non-unique names of the nested clone masters based on the above observations

7.1.3 GIF

alt text

CEDIT:

Improved title. Previous title: "Cloning a group".

7.2 Copying or cloning group with nested master and clone causes wrong source of nested clone in cloned group ( despite 1.1.028 )

7.2.1 Description

• the nested clone in the source group is correctly linked to the nested master in the source group
    • the nested clone in the cloned group is linked to the nested master in the source group
      • it should be linked to the nested master in the cloned group instead
      • the name of the nested master in the cloned group should be pre- or suffixed with a document-wide unique identifier
        • would enable identifying it as a distinct clone source in menus
      • should a linked property of the cloned nested master of the cloned group be changed, only that link to the nested master of the source group should break
        • nested clone in cloned group should still be linked to it

7.2.2 GIF

alt text

CEDIT:

Improved title and description. Previous title: "Copying a group".

8. Changing member of group clone's master hides master and clone ( accumulated )

8.1 Gif observations

1. after disappearance, objects reappear when changing zoom level
    2. ctrl + r causes disappearance again after the above
    • not happening with ungrouped clones

alt text

PEDIT: Improved accumulation notice.

9. Change to member of master group doesn't propagate to copy of clone ( despite 1.1.028 )

9.1 Gif observations

• the members of the group aren't linked via the object menu
      • but the group itself
      • seems to be how group clones work
    • knowing the above, the copy should work
      • it shows the master link in the menu, just like the clone

alt text

10. Changing external master of member clone hides clone in clone of group

10.1 Gif observations

• clone of external master in uncloned group reacts to change
    • the same in the cloned group does not

alt text

11. Copying group with clone, whose master was switched crashes VS

11.1 Gif observations

• copying without switching the master first doesn't crash
    • copying with does

alt text

Summary

1. Cutting and pasting clone from reference canvas crashes VS ( despite 1.1.028 )
    2. Selecting a member of a cloned group's master disables selection
    3. Impossible to select member of cloned group
    4. Exiting isolation mode of cloned group hides it ( despite 1.1.028 )
    5. Cloned group with nested master and clone disappears upon refreshed isolation ( despite 1.1.028 )
      1. Title ( despite 1.1.028 )
      2. Continuation 1 : Subsequently, the bug reappears only every second cycle ( despite 1.1.028 )
      3. Continuation 2 : After disappearance, deleting the master group causes the clone members to reappear ( despite 1.1.028 )
    6. Refreshing with a cloned group's master's member selected hides master and clone
    7. Nested link breakage
      1. Cloning group with nested master and clone breaks nested links in both
      2. Copying or cloning group with nested master and clone causes wrong source of nested clone in cloned group ( despite 1.1.028 )
    8. Changing member of group clone's master hides master and clone ( accumulated )
    9. Change to member of master group doesn't propagate to copy of clone ( despite 1.1.028 )
    10. Changing external master of member clone hides clone in clone of group
    11. Copying group with clone, whose master was switched crashes VS

PEDIT: Improved title for 7.1.
    PEDIT: Improved title and description for 7.2 and provided more descriptive GIF.
    PEDIT: Status adjusted for 1.1.028.

• administrators

@Nils said in Cloning issues:

EDIT: Any idea how to put more space between the markdown checkbox and the label?

I think the only way is to insert HTML code, which is not a very good solution. We can work with the default style.

• @vectoradmin I see. Tbh, I couldn't even get html to render here. If I include any tags here, they are rendered raw. Any idea what's wrong?

• @vectoradmin FYI: In this new procedure, CEDIT refers to the child-topic, PEDIT to the parent.

• administrators

@Nils said in Cloning issues:

@vectoradmin I see. Tbh, I couldn't even get html to render here. If I include any tags here, they are rendered raw. Any idea what's wrong?

I think that is handled by NodeBB and it converts HTML to code display.

• @vectoradmin Google led me to this issue in their forum. Quote:

Alternatively you could allow HTML in the markdown settings, but I would highly advise you also install sanitizehtml plugin, otherwise anyone can post anything including malicious scripts as a post in your forum!

• This post is deleted!

• This post is deleted!

• This post is deleted!

• administrators

@Nils Regarding the "Cutting and pasting clone from reference canvas crashes VS"
    Did you get a crash report for this?

• @vectoradmin If you mean a modal view for formulating and sending a crash report popping up when starting VS again, then yes.

• administrators

@Nils said in Cloning issues ( mega-topic ) ( partially unfixed ):

@vectoradmin If you mean a modal view for formulating and sending a crash report popping up when starting VS again, then yes.

For some reason it seems that I did not get the report. And I cannot replicate error (1).

• @vectoradmin

For some reason it seems that I did not get the report.

Do you mean that you didn't get a crash report from me? If so, that's because I didn't send one. I always resort to post issues here.

And I cannot replicate error (1).

Strange. Did you try replicating on both OSs?

EDIT:

To be precise, you have to peform the exact same sequence of steps as I did to replicate.

At the very least, what I could observe was that the clone needs to stem from a source object that was created on the reference canvas. And you have to cut and paste from the reference canvas, not any other canvas.

I couldn't replicate under any other conditions.

For example:

Cloning from an object on the artwork canvas, then cutting and pasting that clone to the reference canvas and then cutting and pasting from there does not replicate this.

• administrators

@Nils Yes I tried all these combinations and both on Windows and Mac.

I watched the recording, repeated step by step and still no crash. I'm sure I'm doing something different, just don't know what 🙂

• @vectoradmin I'll see if I can find what makes the difference.

For the future: Would it help you if I semantically augmented sub-topics in either bug or feature mega-topics with subjective priorities?

For example, I'd give this less priority as other bugs in this mega-topic, since it can be easily avoided, while some of the others significantly cripple the creative process.

I can see how this might not be objectively apparent, though, which is why I'm asking this.

EDIT:

Did you perform the cloning via alt + drag aswell? If so, did you ensure the correct duplication mode is set?

• administrators

Did you perform the cloning via alt + drag aswell? If so, did you ensure the correct duplication mode is set?

Yes, I set the duplication mode to cloning and then used Alt+drag.

I think it is sufficient to mention a priority (Low/Medium/High) in the bug report. But it is optional, as I will try to fix any issue that can be identified or replicated as soon as possible.

• @vectoradmin

I see.

But it is optional, as I will try to fix any issue that can be identified or replicated as soon as possible.

Yes, which is awesome. But some bugs are obviously very hard to replicate, while having relatively little impact on the usability of VS. So this could lead to a kind of violation of the well-known "pareto principle". 😛

• @vectoradmin

Another possible difference:

Are you replicating on a dev build or on the actual release builds as they're downloaded from the website? I replicated on 1.1.026.

• administrators

Are you replicating on a dev build or on the actual release builds as they're downloaded from the website? I replicated on 1.1.026.

I tried on the actual 1.1.026 build (in release mode) as installed from the website.

• @vectoradmin

in release mode

This sounds like there could still be a very tiny difference from what's actually downloaded from the website. I say this, because sometimes bugs creep in in the most subtle ways imaginable.

Did you try to actually download the release, install it and then replicate? Maybe there's something wrong with the upload.