Exit text editing mode

• We've already written about quitting the text editor before.
    I have not tested it, but I can see that in Photoshop it is done with the Ctrl + Enter shortcut. What if it had worked in a similar way here? This combination would result in quitting the editor, selecting the text and activating the Transform Tool.

Is the mentioned combination already reserved?
    The inconvenience it may cause?

• @encart said in Exit text editing mode:

We've already written about quitting the text editor before.
    I have not tested it, but I can see that in Photoshop it is done with the Ctrl + Enter shortcut. What if it had worked in a similar way here? This combination would result in quitting the editor, selecting the text and activating the Transform Tool.

Is the mentioned combination already reserved?
    The inconvenience it may cause?

Just sharing some inspiration, personally I do not jump in and out from text boxes, so I will stay in the background a bit:
    Illustrator text box
    Photoshop

I don't think Adobe succeeded in creating total shortcut consistency across their programs.

But personally my first instinctive move would be to hit ESC.

• @Ingolf As for me, ESC is fine as well.
    I am more concerned with continuing to edit smoothly. Currently, Single clicking ESC exits the text field and allows you to create a new one, but still blocks tools shortcuts. So, maybe a double click could exit the Text Tool completely and switch to the Transform Tool and select the last created item?

• @encart Esc makes most sense, and is also used in CorelDraw, IIRC.

• @encart said in Exit text editing mode:

@Ingolf As for me, ESC is fine as well.
    I am more concerned with continuing to edit smoothly. Currently, Single clicking ESC exits the text field and allows you to create a new one, but still blocks tools shortcuts. So, maybe a double click could exit the Text Tool completely and switch to the Transform Tool and select the last created item?

Some of it sounds like a Windows port issue. After pressing ESC on macOS I can easily press V, A and activate other tools.

"maybe a double click " You mean hitting ESC twice?

Whatever suits the users of this (and perhaps even mimics commonly used and popular shortcuts from Corel/Adobe) as long as pressing ESC one time doesn't deactivate the text tool in the toolbar.

Small related observations for @vectoradmin

A

• Transform tool active
    • Press T
    • Text tool is active
    • Create text frame
    • Edit text
    • Observation: Pointer switches to text tool
    • Hit ESC
    • No tool is visually active in the toolbar
    • Text tool is active if you look at the pointer

= Text tool visually active in toolbar and activated as well code-wise, I can create more text frames

B

• Select other objects with transform tool
    • Select a text frame
    • Transform tool is visually active in toolbar
    • Double click text
    • Observation: Pointer switches to text tool (correct)
    • Press ESC
    • Text tool is active if you look at the pointer

= Text tool visually active in toolbar and activated as well code-wise, I can create more text frames

So in short the toolbar sometimes doesn't indicate what tool is actually active. 🙂

• @Ingolf said in Exit text editing mode:

Some of it sounds like a Windows port issue. After pressing ESC on macOS I can easily press V, A and activate other tools.

So in my case something is definitely not working as it should. After pressing Esc, I cannot use any letter based shortcuts. I have to click on the tool in the toolbox.

• administrators

@encart Yes, it seems that on Window using Esc does not completely "exit" text editing.

• @vectoradmin said in Exit text editing mode:

@encart Yes, it seems that on Window using Esc does not completely "exit" text editing.

Indeed, verified on my Windows 10 machine too.